Why Is My Printer Offline
Even with todays advancements in technology, computer and printer issues are still a frequent occurrence for some people. When youre running a business, there is nothing worse than receiving a message telling you that your printer is offline and not knowing how to fix it.
In this blog post, weve explained the possible reasons why youve got an offline printer, and how you can fix it.
Troubleshoot Printer Spooler Settings
HP printer shows offline message when printer spooler is stopped. To fix this, follow these steps-
- First of all, open Run dialog box and type Services.mscand Click on OK
- Now from the listed items, locate the option of Print Spooler
- Right click on it and slect Stop option to pause the print spooler services.
- Next click on the address bar from the Windows File Explorer and type C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printer and click on OK.
- Now delete all the files from printer folder to clear the printing queue.
- Thereafter, go back to Print Spooler and right click on it and select Start option to resume the spooler service again.
- Lastly, restart your computer and printer and your complain of HP printer Says offline will be gone.
These steps will help the user to bring back the HP printer from offline to online in Windows 10 or in any other operating system.
Why Does My Hp Printer Keep Going Offline
To take a deeper look into the issue of HP OfficeJet, HP PhotoSmart, or HP Envy Printer offline, we will be going through its causes. These have been mentioned below:
- Jammed paper may be causing the issue.
- Problems with the cables or connection may be responsible for the offline status.
- The HP printer may have been set to offline mode.
- The firmware may be lacking important updates.
- You may not have updated the drivers for your HP printer.
- It is possible that your device may not have been chosen as the default printer.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Get My Brother Printer Back Online
What Does It Mean When Your Printer Is Offline
If youve received this error message, it can be frustrating. It doesnt mean that your printer is broken, however. An offline printer is one that cannot communicate with the device sending the print job.
Unfortunately, a printer that is offline cannot receive new print jobs and process them, so its wise to pause all print jobs until you resolve the issue. Do not send any more print requests to your offline printer until youve gone through our troubleshooting guide. If you have print jobs in the printer queue, you may need to cancel them until you get back online. Just remember to save your work so that you can print your projects later. Some of the reasons might be:
- Outdated drivers
- Connection issues
- A settings error
Each of these reasons has a different resolution process. Lets take a look at what the problem is and how to get back online and printing again.
Ensure Your Printer Is Set As Default Printer To Fix The Hp Printer Offline Issue:
If the printer keeps turning offline on Windows 10 or any other operating system, the following steps should be used:
- Step 1: Click on the Windows button and type in Run. After that type Control Panel and select the option.
- Step 2: A Device and Printer option will be seen, under that, the HP printer will be listed. If a green checkmark is visible, it means that the HP printer is already set as default.
- Step 3: If not then right-click on the printer option and click on the option of Set as a default printer. You will notice that the printer is successfully working.
Use Hp Print And Scan Doctor
Use HP Print and Scan Doctor on your Windows computer to help diagnose and fix printing and scanning issues.
Make sure paper is loaded in the main tray, and then turn on the printer.
Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the prompts to install and open the tool.
On the welcome screen, click Start to select your printer and run the diagnostic.
If your printer is not found, click My product is not listed, and then follow the instructions troubleshoot the connection.
Solution: Set Your Printer As Default On Windows 10 Manually
Examine HP printer to set as default property to bypass printer keeps going offline on Windows 10.
- Search for devices and then click on Printer and Scanners from the set of displayed devices.
- If it is considered as checked, uncheck the box near Let Windows manage my default printer.
- Watch for your printer name from the record of printers, and then succeed with the Manage button.
- If many devices with the same name, then you require to choose the printer which has a status idle or online.
- Next, below manage your wireless printer device, click on set as default.
- Again, try to print any paper. If the printer still keeps showing offline, then watch the succeeding method.
Recommended Reading: What Does Collated Mean Printer
What Does It Mean When The Hp Printer Says Its Offline
If HP C7200, HP PhotoSmart C4700 or HP 5200 Printer display their status offline, it implies that the device faces communication problems. Thus, print jobs will not be received.
If you cant give or execute new printer commands if your HP DeskJet Printers status reads offline. Either you pause or totally cease the orders you have provided
You will use the functionalities of your smartphone as usual after the challenge is addressed.
Fix 5 Create A Manual Ip Connection
Step 1: Print a Network Configuration Page from the network settings or network setup menu. Then, under your network connection type , check whether the network status is connected or not.
Step 2: If the status is not connected, you should connect the printer to your network first. Then, find the IP Address, Subnet mask, and Default Gateway for your network connection type. If you find different numbers for IPv4 and IPv6, you only need the IPv4 number. Then, find the URL for the Embedded Web Server .
Step 3: Open the EWS URL in a browser with internet connected. In the EWS, click the Network/Networking tab, open the Wired/Wireless menu, and then click IPv4 Configuration. Select Manual IP, click Suggest a Manual IP Address, and then configure the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway number according to the Network Configuration Page.
Step 4: Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.
Then, you can check whether the problem is solved. If not, you can then use the IP Address to create a new TCP/IP Port. After that, test printer again to see whether the problem is solved.
Don’t Miss: What Does Collated Mean Printer
Solution : Performing Windows 10 Updates For Drivers And System Software
HP Printer offline Windows 10 is frequently caused due to outdated or incompatible software. Although most of the time, updates of necessary software are automatically taken care of by Windows 10 itself in case the problem of the HP printer going offline persists you can always try to update the software manually by following the below-mentioned steps
Welcome To Printer Is Offline Fix
For proactive printing, it is very essential that your HP printer works just completely fine. However, sometimes, it may undergo some technical or external issues causing your printer to go offline. And, an offline printer means you cannot go ahead with your printing task. Well, if that is the case with your HP printer, there is no need to worry about it because we have got solutions to all your worries. With helpful articles and personalized assistance, we try to fix a wide array of printing issues with your HP Printer that you might be facing lately.
You May Like: How To Connect A Wireless Canon Printer To A Laptop
Why Is My Hp Printer Offline
The offline printer is basically a connectivity issue. You probably have seen an error message saying- your printer is offline while trying to print a document.
The error message shows when your computer and printer cant communicate for cable connection issues, firmware problems, or outdated drivers.
And when this happens, your printer cant process any command, i.e., you cant print until you resolve the issues and get your machine back online. And in order to solve the problem, you must know about what causes it.
Also, to know more about the offline printer issues, you can go through what does printer offline means.
So, lets see some of the common problems for which your Hp printer might be offline.
- When your printer is paper jammed. Paper jamming occurs when you use a type of paper incompatible with your device or insert sheets incorrectly
- You might have set it offline earlier to save and print a document while not connected or prevent others, such as children, from mistakenly using it
- If the cables are not connected properly
- If you havent updated the Hp printer drivers or if the firmware has essential update lackings
- If the Hp printer is not your default printer, you would probably see the offline error message while trying to print with it
- If you have network problems or if there are other settings errors
Fix : Sets The Online Mode Printer Manually
- Step 1 Click on the button Start.
- Step 2 Click now on the Step 2 button.
- Stage 3 Choose Geräte and Printers option.
- Step 4 Click the portion with the right mouse and select See what is printed.
- Step 5 From the top part of the website, you choose Printer.
- Step 6 Finally, click on the option Use Printer Online from the available menu.
Also Check: How To Connect Dell Laptop To Printer Wirelessly
Fix : Use The Hp Print And Scan Doctor
- Step 1 First, the HP Print and Scan Doctor application must be downloaded and installed.
- Step 2 Run the .exe file that you have downloaded.
- Step 3 Start the HP Print and Scan Doctor and press Start.
- Step 4 From the list available, select your HP printer model.
- Step 5 After the test, start the repair procedure with the fixed print link.
How Do I Get My Printer Back Online Hp
Go to the Start icon on the bottom left of your screen then choose Control Panel and then Devices and Printers. Right click the printer in question and select See whats printing. From the window that opens choose Printer from the menu bar at the top. Select Use Printer Online from the drop down menu.
Also Check: How To Install Canon Pixma Mg2522 Without Disk
Create A Tcp/ip Port In Windows
Add a printer port to Windows that matches your printer’s IP address.
Print a Network Configuration or Wireless Network Test Results page.
Printers with a control panel menu: Print the page from the Wireless, Network Settings, or Setup menu.
Printers without a control panel menu: Print the page using button combinations on the printer control panel.
For most printers, press the Wireless and Information buttons at the same time, or press the Wireless and Start Copy Black buttons at the same time.
For HP DeskJet 6000 and 6400, ENVY 6000 and 6400, and Tango printers, touch and hold the Information button until all control panel buttons light up, and then touch the Information and Resume buttons at the same time.
On the Network Configuration page, find the printer’s IP address.
In Windows, search for and open Printers & scanners
On the Ports tab, click Add Port.
Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
Type the printer’s IP address, and then click Next.
Select the new Standard TCP/IP Port from the list, and then click OK.
You might see two printers in the list of devices. Do not remove or uninstall either printer.
Remedies To Resolve Hp Printer Offline Problems
To get your offline printer work well again, you must troubleshoot it by making the following checks:
- Make sure that your HP Printer is powered on
- Check if it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network or not
- If nothing helps, try running a printer power cycle
- Make sure that it is set as the default printer
- You must try clearing the print queue of your HP device
- If that doesnt help, reset the print queue managing service
- Uninstall and reinstall the latest printer drivers
- Restart your PC and try establishing a connection once again
Also Check: How To Connect My Iphone To My Hp Printer
Reason For The Hp Printer In Offline Mode:
Lets through some light on the reason because of which your HP printer is in offline mode.
- The HP printer is not responding.
- Status of HP printer icon is offline.
- The printer device is not found in the network.
- Sharing of file with the printer is not enabled.
- The IP address of the network port is changed or reset.
- A network connection is lost when the printer is in offline mode.
- Power of printer is off.
The above mentioned are some important factor for which we need to fix HP printer offline issue. So lets move further and discuss some approaches to fix the issue.
Methodologies to Fix HP Printer Offline Issue:
Some of the methods to fix the issues are as follows:
Technique 1:- Reset the Power and Acknowledge the Connection
The following are the steps for this method.
Step 1) Power on the printer and check its status. The scenario of this step:
- If the queue of the print list is getting empty. This can be stopped by troubleshooting it.
- If the printer is still troubling you then go to the next step.
Step 2) When printer is turned on, remove the power code from the printer. Disconnect the power cord of the printer from the outlet of the wall and wait for 60 seconds.
Step 3) Check that the connection of network cable is secure and is not damaged.
Step 4) Make sure that the connection of router or switch cables is secure.
Step 5) Restart your system and wait till it is rebooted.
Step 6) Connect the power cable to the printer and put the power cord to the wall outlet.
Hp 6970 Keeps Going Offline
My HP 6970 keeps going offline even thought i shows it is on my wireless network. I have had so many problems with this printer since I bought it a few weeks ago. It will not connect to airprint either.
Thank you for joining the HP Community
Could you please help me with the operating system of the computer?
How is the printer connected?
Let’s try to Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity
Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.
Try to print. If the printer remains offline, continue to the next step.
This should normally take care of the issue. If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to update the printer firmware – If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Alternatively you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.
For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers – Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.
Don’t Miss: Dell V313w Wireless Setup
Turn On The Printer And Connect To Wifi
Once your printer is on, use the printer control panel to identify the WiFi. From the control panel, select the network settings function and press Confirm Network Settings. This will show you the current status of your printers internet connection. Make sure that your computer and printer are both connected to the same WiFi.
Why Is My Hp Envy 7800 Printer Offline
Reason for HP Envy 7800 Printer to go Offline
Bad contact between printer and router leads to offline error on the printer. The printer ceases working any more. Use your doctors HP Print and Scan service to repair the offline mistake. Reset the print environment to troubleshoot the HP Envy 7800 issue.
Recommended Reading: How To Scan From A Canon Printer
How To Change A Printers Status From Offline To Online
- Another option would be to recreate the print port, as described in the link on the left, this sometimes helps when your printer is offline but available over the network.
- You can also use the Microsoft Printer Diagnostic Tool
- If there is a conflict between several drivers of two printers or more, then isolation of the print driver will help you.
- Be sure to check your firewalls and network devices to see if they are blocking SNMP traffic
- On some printers, it helps to manually set the SNMP name to public
- Make sure that your printers are not set to stand-alone or suspend mode, although you would see it in statuses, but just in case
- Try to diagnose with the Print-Spooler-Repair-Tool
If you still have the Disabled status on the printer, then you have something with karma, try using proprietary utilities from the manufacturer, for example, HP has HP Print and Scan Doctor, others have their own, the main thing is not to give up and change a printers status from offline to online.