Set The Printer As Default
Doing so will ensure your computer uses the correct printer for print and scan jobs. Here’s how:
How To Change The Printer From Offline To Online Status
These instructions will address several issues. If your problem is resolved, dont feel you have to continue through all the steps. Its best to do them in this order, however, because the simplest fixes are listed first and require the least effort and tech knowledge.
Option 1 – Run HP Print and Scan Doctor
Did these instructions help you? Youll know it worked if your printer status changed from offline to online. If not, continue to the next section.
Option 2 – Set the default printer
For Windows 10 users
For Windows 8 users
Now try printing again. If your device still displays an offline status, move on to the next section.
Check The Printers Cable Or Network Connection
Before you jump to tweaking your PCs settings, make sure the printer is correctly plugged into the power outlet and powered on. For wireless printers, ensure your PC and printer are on the same network.
Some printers go into Sleep mode after minutes of inactivity. In Sleep mode, the printer will appear offline on your computer. Press the printers power button to wake it up. Wait for some seconds and check if that changes the printer status to Online on your computer.
You also want to ensure that the cable connecting the printer to your computer or router fits correctly in the appropriate port. Likewise, connect the printer directly to your PCs port, not through a USB hub. If the printer continues to appear offline, switch the printer to a different port on your computer or router.
For wireless printer connections, reboot the router, and reconnect the printer to the network.
You May Like: What Is A Wps Button On A Printer
Disable Use Printer Offline Mode
You should check that the “Use Printer Offline” mode isn’t enabled. You may have done this accidentally or your printer or some software may have turned it on.
Press Windows key + I to open Settings. Go to Devices > Printers & scanners. Select your printer and click Open queue. Click Printer on the toolbar and ensure Use Printer Offline doesn’t have a tick next to it. If it does, click it to disable this.
Run The Printer Troubleshooter
If you still havent found a fix to get your printer online, let the Printer Troubleshooter help you out. Its a built-in tool that finds and fixes printing-related problems on Windows devices.
The tool will check the Spooler service and print queue for errors, examine your network printers configuration, and run other troubleshooting checks. If it diagnoses any problem with the affected printer, itll recommend the appropriate solutions.
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Your Printer Says Its Offline
Get Hints From The Printers Status Light
Windows will label your printer Offline if theres a problem with the device. One easy way to tell if theres an issue with your printer is to check its status lights. For instance, if the Wi-Fi light on a wireless printer flashes red, theres most likely a problem with the Wi-Fi connection.
Status lights could also indicate other issues like firmware update failure or jammed paper in the cassette. Refer to your printers instruction manual or the manufacturers website to learn more about its status light indicators.
Reset The Print System
Resetting the print system can clear any error states by removing all HP and non-HP printers, pending print jobs, and printer preferences.
Resetting the print system removes all printers. After you reset the print system, re-add your printers to the queue.
Right-click or control+click anywhere in the Printers list, and then click Reset printing system.
Type the administrator name and password, and then click OK to complete the reset.
Once the reset is complete, re-add your printer. Click the Plus sign, select your printer in the list, and then click Add.
Read Also: My Hp Printer Won T Print Black Ink
Physical Printer And Cable Checks
Check both ends of the USB cable are firmly inserted. If the printer is networked then make sure the Ethernet cable is firmly inserted. If the printer is wireless check your internet connection or make sure its connected to your router.
If youre connected by cable try using the end of the printer cable in multiple ports or sockets on your device.
Try using a different cable to make sure the fault is not with the cable alone. If youre on a network or wireless device a simple check would be to attach a cable to your computer/or device to make sure your printer is working. Therefore the fault could be with your network connection.
Solution : Add A New Printer
Designed only for the printer using network connecting to PC. On the basis that the above ways are helpless for you to resolve the printer offline status on Windows 10, you can check if you are able to add another printer for this PC.
Go to Start> Settings> Devices> Printer& Scanner> Add a printer.
Then you can struggle to add a second printer on your own by way of increasing an IP address and printer port.
To conclude, from this article, you can get the most common but effective solutions towards the printer offline problem for Windows 10. For some specific printer users, such as HP, Epson or Canon, you can go to the official site to gain the specific suggestions about this printer wont print error.
Don’t Miss: How To Scan Documents From Printer To Pc
Solution : Check Printer Hardware
Printer offline on Windows 10 means that your Epson or Canon or HP printer cannot communicate with your PC. Therefore, it is required that you make sure there is nothing wrong with the connection between your computer and printer. Manage to check some things for the purpose of getting printer online on Windows 10.
For different connections between the PC and the printer, USB printer or wired or wireless printer, you need to check different network connections.
1. Shut down your printer for a few minutes and boot it again.
2. Check if your printer is plugged in properly.
3. Login to Windows 10 with a local administrator account.
4. If you are connecting the printer to the PC via the USB cable, try to make sure the cable is in good shape with a good USB port.
5. If you are making use of the wireless network, make sure the indicating light is on.
Or if it is the wired network, check the Ethernet network condition.
All checked you can know exactly what makes your printer offline on Windows 10. If there are no connection issues with your printer, you can read on to solve the driver and settings problem for your offline printer.
Remove And Reinstall Your Printer To Your Device
Try removing and reinstalling your printer.
Remove your printer:
Select the printer you want to uninstall, select Remove, and then select Yes.
Reinstall your printer:
Make sure your printer is turned on and connected. Next to Add a printer or scanner, select Add device and follow the instructions to add your printer.
You May Like: Where Can I Recycle Printer Ink Cartridges
Reasons Why Your Printer Is Offline
The future is now, but even with modern advancements in technology, computer and printer issues like an offline device are still one of the most common printer problems for people in the office and at home.
When youre working in the office or preparing to print important documents at home, there is nothing more annoying than receiving a notification about your printer being offline. Printing out a few documents should be a quick and easy task, especially when you work in an office equipped with state-of-the-art multifunction printers. Unfortunately, technology is not perfect and every piece of equipment runs into errors, but they are totally actionable!
Dealing with a printer thats offline and not knowing how to fix it is an inconvenience that can seriously impede your workflow if you dont think fast. After internally cursing the little glitches in modern technology, its time to troubleshoot in order to get your printer working seamlessly again.
If youre currently struggling with this formidable issue, then were got you covered with the seven answers to your question: why is my offline.
Fix 2 Use Printer Offline Setting
The second method is to close the “Use Printer Offline” setting. If this setting is enabled, your printer is unable to print. Follow the steps below to turn off this selection:
Step 1: Press “Windows + I” keys to open Settings window and then choose Devices.
Step 2: Choose Printers & scanners tab and then select a printer device. Click on this printer device and choose Open queue.
Step 3: In the new window, click Printer and uncheck Use Printer Offline.
You May Like: Mfc L2700dw Connect To Wifi
Solution : Run Printer Troubleshooter
It is available and feasible for you to take advantage of the Windows built-in tool to troubleshoot the reasons why your printer is offline on Windows 10. Whats more, it is capable of identifying and fixing the printer issue.
1. Search Troubleshoot in the search box and hit Enter to navigate to Troubleshoot.
2. Under Troubleshoot, locate Printer and choose to Run the troubleshooter.
If there are any problems with your printer on Windows 10, the printer troubleshooter would let you know. And if possible, it will also fix the printer offline issue for you automatically.
How To Switch My Printer From Offline To Online In Windows 10
Your printer is offline apparently due to no communication with the attached computer. The reason behind this error may be related to the software or hardware. To further narrow down the issue, we are sharing few list of steps to get your printer back online.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Printer Ink From Carpets
How Do You Reset A Printer
To restore the product to the factory-default settings, follow these steps.
Printer Offline Error In Windows 10
- Many users complained about printer connectivity issues that switch printersoffline even if they don’t seem to have any problems.
- This problem has several possible causes but most of the time it’s because of a missing or problematic driver for your printer.
- If you want to learn more about printers, bookmark our for further reference.
- Our Tech Troubleshooting Hub provides you with solutions to any other software or hardware problem with your PC.
- Once installed, click Scan to find outdated and bad printer drivers
- Click the Update Your Drivers Now after the scan to start the repair/update process
Fix all printer
Many Windows 10 users have reported issues regarding and a glitch that can set active offline even if they are connected and fully operational.
The error is usually encountered when speaking of network printers, but home users with a direct connection to their printer have also complained.
Well go about fixing this issue just like most other connectivity-related problems, as in most cases, there is a simple explanation to the problem.
It should be noted that different manufacturers have their own diagnostics software which can inform the user of what problems come up .
If your printers manufacturer provided you with this feature, we encourage you to use it at full extent. More often than not, it will set you in the right direction for finding solutions to your problems.
Don’t Miss: How To Setup A Printer Fax Machine
Some Problems Related To Printer Offline Error: Windows 10
- Printer Offline Error: It is not uncommon for the users to report printer offline error issues. The problem is not limited to any single brand and the users of most of the printer manufacturing companies such as Epson, Canon, Ricoh, and HP often complain about it. We will help you with a practical solution shortly in this article.
- Printer Offline Due To SNMP Settings: A lot of times the SNMP feature is the reason why your printer turns to the offline mode. The easiest way to solve this issue is by disabling the SNMP status.
- Printer Displaying Offline Status Through Error Processing Command: It is one of the most common issues that is faced by the users in a network printer. The easiest way to fix it is by reinstallation of the printer driver. We are also going to provide another elaborated solution within this article.
- The Printer Goes Offline And Becomes Unable To Ping: There are times when your computer system might not be able to recognize the printer. Often, a lot of people find it hard to ping the network printer. It can be resolved by restarting the printer spooler service. Keep on reading to find out what else can fix this issue.
- Network Printer Offline VPN: This error is encountered by the users when they are using a VPN. The method to solve this problem is by simply changing the VPN configuration in your system.
Reset The Printing System
A printing system restart removes all error statuses by deleting every printer, print job, and printer preference.
If none of these steps work in resolving the printer offline error, you may need advanced troubleshooting to deal with the problem. That would be the time to contact a printer technician for some expert help.
Recommended Reading: How To Reset Printer Ink
How To Fix A Paper Jam In A Printer
Paper jammed in printer is one of the most common printer issues. It can also be a factor in why your printer keeps going offline. Paper jams can quickly happen if your printer paper is not correctly placed on your paper tray. It may be frustrating if the printer keeps jamming but smacking it will not help at all. Take a look at these easy ways that may resolve a jammed printer.
Step 1: Turn off and unplug your printer.
Step 2: Remove all the paper from the paper tray. Inspect any tear from the paper, so you will know if some of it is stuck inside.
Step 3: If a paper is stuck in the printer, avoid yanking it that may cause the paper to tear apart.
Step 4: Open the printers access doors to remove any paper bits easily. Gently pull the paper away.
Step 5: Close the access doors firmly. Plug the printer and start reloading the paper tray.
Why Does Your Printer Go Offline
Mostly, your printer has to be connected to the Internet or by USB cable. Only in this way can the printer get online and work smoothly with your PC on Windows 10.
And you can see from the issue that the printer is offline that the main cause lies in connection problems. Sometime, it may be due to the disconnected printer. On the other hand, the offline printer appears because of the network issues.
You May Like: Ink Cartridge Resetter Hp
Make Printer Online Using Device Manager
If you prefer using Device manager, you can follow the steps below to make printer online on your Windows computer.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Device Manager option in the WinX menu.
2. On Device Manager Screen, click on the Action tab and select Devices and Printers option in the drop-down menu.
Note: If Devices and Printers option does not appear, retry again after sometime.
3. On Devices and Printers screen, right-click on the Offline Printer and select See whats printing option in the contextual menu.
4. On the next screen, select the Printer Tab and click on Use Printer Offline option to remove the check mark on this item.
5. Wait for the printer to come back online.
Once the printer comes back online, it should start printing whatever was in the print queue.
Solution #: Connect Another Printer Device
A lot of experts recommend fixing the printer offline error by adding another printer device in the existing set-up. However, one thing to note is that it only works in case of network connection. You can try adding a second printer by following these steps.
- Step 1: Open the Control Panel in the settings and then click on the option that says Devices and Printers.
- Step 2: Now, select your printer, right click on it, and then select the option Remove Device.
- Step 3: Next, click on the Ports tab and then select the option labeled Add port.
- Step 4: Then you have to click on Standard TCP/IP Port and then select New Port.
- Step 5: As you do the above stated, the Printer Port Wizard will start. Then you have to click on Next.
- Step 6: Here, you need to type in the necessary information and then click on the option Next.
As you are done, your printer offline error in Windows 10 will be fixed successfully!
No related posts.
You May Like: Connect To Printer On Iphone