Set The Default Printer
Set your printer as default on your Windows 10 computer to make sure print and scan jobs use the correct printer.
In Windows, search for and open Printers & scanners.
Make sure the box next to Let Windows manage my default printer is not checked.
From the list of printers, click your printer name, and then click Manage. If there are multiple printer names that match yours, select the printer that is idle or online.
Under Manage your device, click Set as default.
Step F : If A Copy Of Your Brother Machine’s Icon Is Listed In The Devices And Printers
A copy of your printer with the same printer name may be created if you:
- Changed the USB port on your computer which is connected to the Brother machine.
- Installed the same printer driver multiple times.
This may lead to some copies of your printer driver not working correctly. To print, select a printer driver that you know is working.
To check which printer driver is working, do the following:
To change the printer name, do the following:
Check The Cartridges And Paper Tray
One of the persistent causes of offline printer problems is paper jams. So, open your printer and look if theres any paper stuck inside. Also, put sufficient sheets in the paper tray before beginning any operation.
Low ink levels on the cartridges can cause this problem too. In that case, check the ink level and dismiss the software-generated warnings.
And if you are facing frequent cartridge problems, you can look for a quality product among the 10 best printers with long-lasting ink cartridges.
Don’t Miss: How To Uninstall Printer Drivers
When Does The Printer Go Offline
Failure to connect with your computer is the primary reason for your printer to go offline. Depending upon your printers age, version of drivers being used and the compatibility with the attached computer, the reason for this issue varies from case to case.
The most common and primary reason for this issue to arise is due to missing or outdated driver updates. Printer drivers are important piece of software that assists in proper functioning of its hardware. Failure to do so causes the printer to perform sluggishly, creating frequent problems with respect to printing.
Another common reason associated with this issue is the prolonged inactivity of your printer. If a printer is idle for many hours, chances are it may enter into sleep mode. This is just an efficient way of conserving power in modern day printers, if they are not used for most time of the day. The simple way to wake your printer is by pressing power button for 1 second. This will ensure your printer is active before it receives any print command.
What Does Printer Offline Mean Why Is My Printer Offline
The printer is an output device connected to your computer. A computer works well without a printer, but if you want to print out files and documents, you must have a printer installed with your computer. A printer can be connected to your computer through a wire or a cable, but in most cases, it is easier to connect it online with the computer so that you do not need any wire for connection. A printer does not have a USB or cable space in it.
Nothing is the biggest disaster than a disconnected printer in an office. Imagine that you have completed your document, and now it is ready to be submitted. You have selected the print option, and half of the pages are printed in the printer that goes offline. It is a very frustrating experience, and the printer needs to be fixed at once.
There is a possible range of problems that might have occurred with your printer. It can be a problem with Wi-Fi or hardware, your cable might be disconnected, or your printer might have malfunctioned. There can also be a problem with the software. The windows installed on your computer often give the possible solutions that you can try.
Read Also: Why Is My Hp Printer Printing Blank Pages
How Do I Get My Printer To Connect Wirelessly
Ensure your device is selected and click Add printers. This will add your printer to your Google Cloud Print account. Download the Cloud Print app on your Android device. This will allow you to access your Google Cloud Print printers from your Android. You can download it for free from the Google Play Store.
I: Delete All The Pending Print Jobs
If some pending print jobs within the print queues get corrupted somehow, then there is a possibility for you to meet with this problem. The best answer to resolve this issue is to remove all the stuck print jobs. To do that, follow the steps below.
- First, press the combination of Windows + R keys together. This opens a new dialog box having the name Run will come up.
- Within that dialog box, type in the text control panel on the empty area beside the label Open: and then, tap on the OK button.
- As soon as you do that, then a new Control Panel window will come up. Inside that window, find and choose the Hardware and Sound category. Now, a new page will appear, in it, locate and select the Devices and Printers option.
- Next, another page will come up, where go to the Printers and Faxes section. Under that section, locate the Epson printer that you have and right-click on it.
- Now, from the popup menu that appears, find and click the See whats printing option.
- At this time, a new window with a list full of print jobs will appear. Within that window, navigate to the menu bar and choose the Printer option. From the drop-down list, choose the Cancel All Documents option.
- At last, tap on the Yes button, when the confirmation box comes up.
You May Like: Hp 2540 Offline
How Do I Stop My Printer From Going Offline
How to Keep a Printer From Switching to Offline
What Does It Mean When Your Printer Is Offline
If youve received this error message, it can be frustrating. It doesnt mean that your printer is broken, however. An offline printer is one that cannot communicate with the device sending the print job.
Unfortunately, a printer that is offline cannot receive new print jobs and process them, so its wise to pause all print jobs until you resolve the issue. Do not send any more print requests to your offline printer until youve gone through our troubleshooting guide. If you have print jobs in the printer queue, you may need to cancel them until you get back online. Just remember to save your work so that you can print your projects later. Some of the reasons might be:
- Outdated drivers
- Connection issues
- A settings error
Each of these reasons has a different resolution process. Lets take a look at what the problem is and how to get back online and printing again.
Read Also: How To Turn Printer Online Windows 10
How Do I Switch My Hp Printer From Offline To Online
Go to the Start icon on the bottom left of your screen then choose Control Panel and then Devices and Printers. Right click the printer in question and select See whats printing. From the window that opens choose Printer from the menu bar at the top. Select Use Printer Online from the drop down menu.
Why Is My Printer Saying Offline When It’s Not
During printing, the PC or computer thinks that your printer is offline even though its online and ready to print. This problem typically occurs when there is an error between your device and printer. But sometimes, it can be a simple case of improper cable connection or paper-jam.
A printer offline issue can also mean an internal setup issue with your printer or computer. It can vary depending on your printer and whether you are using a Windows PC or Mac computer for printing. Lets take a look at all the possible solutions you can use when your printer is offline and not responding.
Recommended Reading: What Does Collated Mean Printer
Iii: Deactivate The Use Printer Offline Feature
When the feature Use Printer Offline present on the Epson Printer is active, then due to the malfunction of this feature you can meet with this glitch. The feasible answer to resolve this glitch is to disable the Use Printer Offline feature of the Epson printer.
- First, press both the keys Windows + S keys simultaneously, to launch the default search area.
- In this area, write the devices and printers option and then from the output page choose the Devices and Printers option. This action will open a new window with the title Devices and Printers.
- In this window, go to the section Printers and Faxes and select the specific Epson printer. Next, right-click on the chosen printer and select the See whats printing option.
- Now, a new window with the name of the printer on the title will come up. In that window, choose the Printer item from the menu bar. This action will reveal the various options on a drop-down list.
- From that list, see if there is a tick mark on the Use Printer Offline option. If a mark is present, then click once to disable the option. Once again click the Printer item and then choose the Set As Default Printer option.
- At last, close everything and see if this issue comes up or not when you try to print a document.
Getting An Hp Printer Back Online
Hewlett Packard provides free printer troubleshooting for Windows customers through their HP Print and Scan Doctor program. If the solutions above do not resolve your printers offline status, download the program, and follow the prompts:
To use the HP Print and Scan Doctor with Windows:
- Download the HP Print and Scan Doctor from your computer.
- Once the program downloads, open the downloaded application by allowing it to run.
- A window will appear. If asked if you trust the file, selected Yes. From the HP Print and Scan Doctor window, click Start.
- Choose your printer from the subsequent page. If your printer does not appear, restart your printer and select Retry on the HP Print and Scan Doctor window.
- Follow the prompts from the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
Unfortunately, there is not an HP Print and Scan Doctor for MacOS users at this time.
If you are still not able to get your printer online, it may be time for professional help. HP Printer Support is available 24/7 to assist with additional troubleshooting.
Also Check: How Do I Find The Wps Pin For My Printer
Checking The Primary Connection
The primary thing to do is to check your printers connection with your PC. You should take a look at the direct link interfacing your printer to your switch, and check the USB link associating your printer to your PC. If you think that the connections to the system are all okay, try switching the printer cable to alternate USB port on your device.
For printers that are connected through WiFi , you need to check the Network Settings in the Printers and Scanners section of your computer. Click on Confirm Network Settings and this will open up the current network settings of your printer.
What Does It Mean When A Printer Appears Offline
Simply put, when a printer appears offline, your computer is saying it cannot be connected to, which means it cannot be printed from. In order to create prints, a printer and computer need to have a connection, and when this cannot be found, printing cannot go ahead. There are several reasons this may be the case, which we will address below.
Also Check: How To Set Up Airprint On Epson Printer
Cancel Current Print Jobs
If you have print jobs queued, it can sometimes overwhelm the printer and computer as they are trying to connect. Canceling print jobs allows the printer and computer to focus solely on communicating.
To cancel print jobs on Windows:
- In the window that appears, select Devices and Printers .
- Right-click on your printers icon and select See Whats Printing.
- Right-click each print job and select Cancel.
To cancel print jobs on MacOS:
- In the Apple menu, click System Preferences and select Print & Scan.
How To Clean Printhead
Printhead problems may occur if the nozzles get clogged due to dried or dusty ink. If you do not use your printer often, your ink may dry up. You will know that the nozzles are clogged when you see streaks or spots on your printouts, or it will not print at all. However, you do not need to fret since a simple cleaning process can unclog your printhead so you can produce quality prints again. There are different ways to clean your clogged printhead. You can clean your printhead automatically or manually. You can check your manual on how to clean your printhead automatically.
Recommended Reading: How To Turn Printer Online Windows 10
Updating Printer’s Ip Address
A network printer frequently changes its IP address due to security reasons. In most of the cases the default IP address in your system is automatically updated with the new one, yet it is recommended to check your printer configuration to strike out this cause.
If you are using Windows operating system, select Printer properties after clicking on the desired printer from the list. Click on the Ports tab and select Configure port. This will show you the current IP address of your printer. Make sure that the IP address of the printer is correctly added, if not, you can edit and add the correct address of your printer.
For Mac users, select System Preferences by clicking on the Apple icon menu. Choose the option Printers & Scanners and then click on Options & Supplies
Changing The Printer Status
Before going into the complex method of updating software, check the printer’s status off connection with your computer. It might be turned offline accidentally.
For this purpose, you just need to open the window settings, then select the option of devices you would find the option of the printer. Click this option, and it would show you that your printer is offline or online if it is offline, change its status to online. By doing this, the printer would be connected back to your computer. You may run into problem here. Check out the linked guide for solution.
Also Check: Brother Hl L2390dw Scan Multiple Pages
Hp Printer Retains Showing Status Continue Reading This Distance
Dispose of using the outdated motorist and then also put in a fresh one to the own machine: A obsolete driver to the printer may even build the hp printer offline difficulty. It is wise to get into the newest driver on the device. Adhere to the steps that are mentioned to get the driver to the human body: Switch in the printing platform and then start up the settings.
How To Fix Printer Offline Problem In Windows 10
Sometimes you will get printer is offline message on your Windows 10. Although both your PC and Printer are in the online state, due to some communication error, the printer will appear as it is still in the offline state. If you are faced printer offline problem in Windows and looking for a fix, this article is must read for you.
How to change printer status from offline to online? To fix printer offline problem in Windows 10, you need to adjust some settings in Control Panel. Follow the below steps to fix printer offline issue.
Recommended Reading: How To Install Canon Printer Without Cd
Remove And Reinstall Printer
The final solution requires you to remove the printer from your computer and then reinstall it. This will allow the connection between your computer and printer to once again start from scratch.
To remove and reinstall a printer with Windows:
- In the window that appears, select Devices and Printers .
- Right-click on your printer and select Remove device.
- To reinstall the printer, click Add a Printer on the Devices and Printers window and follow the prompts.
To remove and reinstall a printer with MacOS:
- In the Apple menu, click System Preferences and select Print & Scan.
- Right-click anywhere in the Print & Scan window and select Reset Printing System. This will clear any errors, print jobs, and printer preferences from your computer.
- Once the reset is complete, select Add Printer or Scanner and select your printer. Follow the subsequent prompts to reinstall your computer.
Troubleshoot With The Printers Software
Many printer brands have dedicated software that fixes printing-related issues on a computer. HP, for example, has a Print and Scan Doctor tool that diagnoses issues with HP printers on Windows devices.
Contact your printer manufacturers to confirm if theres an app for your printer model. Better yet, visit the Support or Downloads section of the manufacturers website to download the printer management app.
Also Check: How To Clean Printer Head Canon Pixma