How To Change A Hp Printer From Offline To Online
Windows has a printer setting that allows you to use your printer when it is offline. The setting allows you to save the documents you want to print when the printer isn’t connected to your computer when you change it back to online, the computer sends the documents to the printer. Changing from offline to online sends print jobs directly to your Hewlett-Packard printer without waiting. Your printer must be connected to your computer before you can change the setting from “Offline” to “Online.”
Right-click the icon for your Hewlett-Packard printer. It may be labeled with HP or Hewlett-Packard as part of the device name. If it does not, you may have to click the printers in the window without manufacturer names to see the details of each. At the bottom of the window, next to “Manufacturer” it says “HP” or “Hewlett-Packard.” Click the “See What’s Printing” option.
- Make sure there are no paper jams, empty cartridges or hardware problems.
Solutions To Get Your Printer Jobs Moving Again
Printing a document or image is usually a quick task. Occasionally, your printer may display an offline status and not process your print job. If your printer is offline for no apparent reason, a few steps will often get it back online and printing again.
Here’s a look at why your printer is offline and what you can do to fix it.
This information applies to Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7, as well as macOS Catalina through OS X Mavericks .
Why Does My Printer Go Offline In Windows 10
All you might need to do is to restart the printer and the computer or unplug its USB cable. If you are using a network printer, either wired or wireless, the problem is with the connection, and you should restart your router. From the queue window, select Printer and uncheck the Use Printer Offline option.
Don’t Miss: How To Add A Printer To My Iphone
Remove And Add Printer
If nothing else works, it would be best to remove the printer from the system and add it again. It is a simple process that may also include downloading the driver and OEMs application.
- Unplug the printer from the computer
- Go to Devices > Printers and Scanners
- Select the printer you intend to remove > click on Remove device
- Plug the printer back, and Windows should add it back again, and install the driver as well.
- The reinstallation will restore Printer to online status
If it doesnt show up, click on Add a printer or scanner and click on the link The printer that I want isnt listed. You can then manually add it.
What Does It Mean When Your Printer Is Offline
Printers work offline when they have a hard-line connection to the computer holding the document. The printer itself does not have a hard-drive and cannot perform without a means of viewing your document. Bringing a printer online means it can print documents without a direct connection to the computer.
Also Check: How To Connect Hp Deskjet Printer To Iphone
Remove And Reinstall Your Printer
Another way you can fix an offline printer is to remove the printer from your PC or laptop and reinstall it. To remove your printer, simply open the devices and printers in your computers control panel. Right click the model youd like to remove and select remove.
You now need to reinstall your printer to your computer. This usually involves simply connecting your printer to your computer with a USB, and turn it on. However, if youre reinstalling a wireless printer, you should first make sure your printer is turned on. Open up your computer settings, click change PC settings, open PC and devices then select devices.
Following these steps should allow you fix any offline printer. If you have any other issues with offline printing, either get in touch with the manufacturer of your printer, or speak to one of our in-house experts.
Another Way You Can Get Your Printer Back Online Follow The Steps Below:
To attempt to get your printer online. Go to “Settings” and then “Printers.” Right-click on the printer and select “Use Printer Online.”
Check to see if there are any print jobs and clear them. Double click on the selected printer.
Go to “Printer Menu” and select “Cancel All Documents.”
If there was a printer jam or job that may cause the printer to show an error and go offline.
Try to print again to set the printer back online. Print a test page to see if the error has been resolved.
Find the printer and switch it to printer off and then turn it back on.
Check to see if the printer has a jam which can create an error.
Check all the network connections and wireless connections to make sure all connections are working. Restart the device or computer.
Recommended Reading: How To Hard Reset Canon Printer
Removing Drivers And Packages
Your printer should now be showing as online and allow you to continue printing. If not there is likely to be an issue with the printer electronically and I would advice contacting the printers manufacturer or a printer technician.
If however you have anything to add or any further questions, please get in touch via any of our social media platforms.
About the author
I have been involved in the printer industry since I was 18 and have been an employee of Refresh Cartridges since early 2009. I am a dedicated family man, gamer, music fan and friend to all.I write the majority of the content here on Igloo and am responsible for its upkeep.
How To Remove Printer Drivers And Packages
Make sure you are using Windows as an Admin or sign-in as one.
Type CMD in the search bar.
With command prompt open type printui /s /t2 including the spaces to open the Print Server Properties window.
Now remove the Driver and Package for the printer in question.
You can now add your printer again by selecting Add a Printer from Devices and Printers.
Your printer should now be showing as online and allow you to continue printing.
If not there is likely to be an issue with the printer electronically, further advice would be to contact the printers manufacturer or a printer technician.
Always check the cost of a printer fixing error in some cases it may be cheaper to purchase a new printer rather than pay the fixing and maintenance cost.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop A Printer From Printing
Why Is My Hp Printer Offline How To Make It Online
Finding your printer offline in a time of hurry can be frustrating. An offline printer means it cant communicate with your computer thus, it is unable to function when you press print.
So, screaming, Why is my HP Printer Offline? How to make it Online? wont do you any good. You got to solve it.
Apparently, this is a frequent issue with printers, and more than half of the time, you can resolve it by checking the printer status and setting it as a default device. Other times you might have to go through some troubleshooting steps.
This article presents an in-depth analysis of why this happens and how you can resolve it. Depending on your HP printer model, the procedure more or less should work. Also, you can check out why is your HP Officejet 3830, not printing.
Fix : Set Printer Online Manually
Though the printer is online and connected properly, you can still encounter the printer offline error if the settings are configured incorrectly. In this case, you can set printer online manually to fix the printer offline error.
Step 1: Open Control Panel and click on Devices and Printers.
Step 2: Right click the printer under the printers list that you are using and is stuck in offline status and uncheck Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline from the prompted menu.
Also Check: Canon Mg2522 Connect To Wifi
The Meaning Behind The Printer Offline Error Message
The Printer Offline error message is one of the most common errors received with HP Printers. If you receive this message, it can be frustrating, but it is nothing to fear. An offline printer doesnt mean that your printer is broken it simply means that your printer is not communicating with your device.
Your HP printer may be offline for a number of reasons, including a setting error, connection issues, or outdated drivers or software. Luckily, all of these issues can be solved with some easy troubleshooting steps.
How Do I Find Printer Status In Windows 10
View the print queue
Also Check: What Does Driver Unavailable Mean
Brother Printer Is Offline: How To Get It Back Online
A printer going offline regularly happens because of varying conditions, particularly the WIFI, connectivity and power supply issues. Brother printer offline is no exception as it also has its share of issues.
Printer issues can be due to overload, or perhaps it may be an issue with the driver, or the network may be undergoing some connectivity problems and also loose connection might be the culprit. Trouble can happen anywhere along the line, a system hardware failure cannot also be discounted. The problem is diverse and only a critical assessment can pinpoint the actual cause, so remedial measures can be taken up.
Printers are sensitive devices that easily reacts and send a printer offline message even when there is only a little deviation in the power supply. This is inherent in all printers because a shortfall in power would naturally affect the performance of the device. In some instances a simple reboot of the device is all is needed to turn it back online. However if the offline thing occurred because the user made some changes in the computer, it is a valid issue.
To turn the back on online after a valid issue happened, here are a list of steps to follow to allow the printer to go online:
Use Windows Troubleshooter To Bring Printer Online
At this stage, if you see your printer came back then you have done. If you think still your printer is not able to come back online, follow further steps mentioned below.
- Type troubleshooter in the Search box at the top right corner of your window. Click on Troubleshooting link when it appears in the main window.
- Now you have to select Use a Printer option from Hardware and Sound.
- You have to follow the onscreen guide provided there. This troubleshooter will try to fix the issue automatically from your computer. If it can not fix that, it will show you advanced troubleshooting guide addressing your problem.
Do follow those steps and let us know if this troubleshooting guide has fixed your offline printer issue. Here in this article we have shared recommended about How To Get Printer Online from offline status. Do let us know if you know any extra tips on How To Get Printer Online. We would love to add your tips in this article.
- Update and Manage Printer Drivers for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 published on microsoft.com
- How to Get Your Printer Online published by Windows and Linux Tutorials from Howtech on Youtube.com
- Image credit: Elevate Printing Epson GS6000 Printer published by Elevate Printing on flickr.com
Don’t Miss: How To Connect Canon Ts3122 Printer To Iphone
Other Important Factor Due To Which ‘hp Printer Shows Offline’
Whenever your HP printer says offline, always consider these factors-
- In case of a wireless connection, always ensure that you printer and computer are on same Wi-Fi network. To know more about connecting your HP printer to wireless network, .
- Once the HP printer is configured in the computer, always reboot your system so that the settings of HP printer can be saved.
- Paper jams, low ink levels, voltage fluctuations, lack of compatibility are other reasons that may cause your printer to go offline.
Install The Latest Printer Driver
Most HP Printers will require the latest driver to work successfully. If your printer is an older model, it may no longer have the latest driver. To download drivers for your printer:
- Go to the
- Select your printer by either entering the name in the search bar and clicking Submit or finding it in the list of printers below.
- Select the driver you wish to install. If there are multiple driver options available, select the driver that is responsible for solutions.
- Once the driver has downloaded, double-click the file to begin the installation.
- Once the driver has been installed, follow the steps above to remove and reinstall your printer.
Also Check: How Do I Connect My Wireless Printer To My Phone
Check The Cartridges And Paper Tray
One of the persistent causes of offline printer problems is paper jams. So, open your printer and look if theres any paper stuck inside. Also, put sufficient sheets in the paper tray before beginning any operation.
Low ink levels on the cartridges can cause this problem too. In that case, check the ink level and dismiss the software-generated warnings.
And if you are facing frequent cartridge problems, you can look for a quality product among the 10 best printers with long-lasting ink cartridges.
Disable Use Printer Offline Mode
You should check that the “Use Printer Offline” mode isn’t enabled. You may have done this accidentally or your printer or some software may have turned it on.
Press Windows key + I to open Settings. Go to Devices > Printers & scanners. Select your printer and click Open queue. Click Printer on the toolbar and ensure Use Printer Offline doesn’t have a tick next to it. If it does, click it to disable this.
Don’t Miss: How To Connect Dell Printer To Wifi
Ensure Your Printer Is Set As Default Printer To Fix Hp Printer Offline Issue
If your HP printer keeps going offline on your Windows 10 or any other operating system, follow these given troubleshooting steps
- If not then right click on your printer and click the option of Set as a default printer.
- Now your printer will successfully work and printer offline problem will no longer be visible in your HP printer.
How Do You Reset Your Printer Settings
Follow the steps listed below to reset the print settings to the original factory default settings.
- Press the Menu/Set key on the control panel.
- Press up or down navigation key to select Printer and press Menu/Set.
- Press up or down navigation key to select Reset Printer and press Menu/Set.
- Press 1 to select Yes.
Read Also: How To Get An Hp Printer Online
Use The Printer Software
Some printer manufacturers have their own software to help you manage and troubleshoot your printer. If this is the case, you should install the software .
You can check if you already have it installed. Press Windows key + I to open Settings. Click Devices > Printers & scanners, select your printer, and click Manage. You will see a button that says Open printer app if the software is installed.
Open the software and check for any section that lets you restart, troubleshoot, or fix the printer.
How Do I Stop My Printer From Going Offline
How to Keep a Printer From Switching to Offline
Read Also: Windows Update For Printer Drivers
How To Turn Printer Online From Offline Windows 10
Go in the printer setting check for printer and devices and right click on the printer model and see whats printing further follow the steps and printer offline to online in windows and mac.
- Then select the required port and click the Configure Port button. In the Standard TCP / IP port monitor settings window that opens.
- Uncheck the SNMP status enabled checkbox and save the settings.
- In the English version, select Configure Port SNMP Status Enabled
- After all these steps, your printer status is disabled, will change to Ready or Ready. Please note that prior to set up, I had 40 jobs in the print queue.
- As you can see, the status has become Ready.
- After half a minute, the jobs began to be sent to print, as you can see there are already 37 of them. Congratulations, we took our printer out of the Offline mode.
- If disabling SNMP did not help you and your printer is disabled again although it is available.
- Try restarting the print service , but note that this will affect all printing devices, they will not be available at the time of restart.
- If this did not help the same, then try to disable the two-way data exchange for your device, in some cases, this can have an effect.