Why Does My Printer Show Offline
Sometimes you might have seen that your PC connects easily with other devices but has some issues in connecting to your printer. It shows an offline status.
Well if your PC shows this status, then it means that your PC wont be able to communicate with your printer. This connectivity issue can be solved quickly.
You might be thinking that this issue could be relating to IP address but believe me its much easier and simpler than that.
It might also be due to any hardware failure.
How To Prevent Printer Is Offline Issue
Since youre able to fix your printer offline issue, lets now talk about how you can keep your printer from going offline again.
First, you should avoid turning off your WiFi router. If youll do that often, your printer IP address may change every time and you may have to reconnect your printer back to your computer again.
Second, keep your printer driver or software up-to-date. The reason why your printer manufacturer regularly updates your printer driver is to protect it from attacks and of course, to make sure that it can run on your operating system as well.
Usually, they launch a printer driver update, a week or two after Windows releases an update.
The last step to ensure your printer never goes offline again is to make sure that you use it from time to time.
A print job once a week should help get things going. If youre going to stop using your printer for long periods, then it may lead to more problems in the future like ink system failure or your printer may not recognize your ink cartridges.
As much as you can, try to utilize your printer, so it wont malfunction.
Change The Printer Properties
A user also suggested that you can also leave the SNMP as it is and change its device index to #.
Note: This solution works only if youre using a network printer. If you encounter any configuration problems with your printer, weve prepared a simple guide to help you in that situation.
Don’t Miss: Update Hp Printer Driver
Solution One: Restart Your Printer And Check Its Connectivity
If you printer has been online and yet not in use for some time, it may have gone into an idle state. The simplest solution here would be to turn it off for about one minute and then switch it back on. See if the problem has been resolved.
Then, check if the printer is properly connected to its power source: it has to be on and connected to your computer. One of the main reasons your printer may show as offline are connection issues: so, its best to double check that everything is properly connected first. If it is, move on to the next solution.
Action : Canon Printer Driver Not Found / Reinstall The Printer Driver
If the above workarounds do not improve offline, uninstall and reinstall the printer driver in windows 10. The procedure for uninstalling the printer driver is as follows.
- Open Start> Windows System Tools> Control Panel.
- For the icon display, click Devices and Printers.
- Right-click Offline Printers and select Remove Device.
- The printer driver will be uninstalled.
- After uninstalling the printer driver, install the latest printer driver and perform the initial settings of the printer. Drivers are often distributed on the official website of the printer manufacturer, so check the model number and download the latest driver.
Action 7: Check if Windows 10 is up to date
If your printer has frequent offline notifications, you may be able to resolve it by updating your Windows 10 system. Update Windows 10 is basically done automatically, but there are cases where the update is stopped because it is processed in the background.
Recommended Reading: How To Scan A Picture On A Canon Printer
Don’t Miss: Wireless Printers Compatible With Ipads
Check Print Spooler Service Status
The print spooler is a most important utility or software interface that controls the order in which documents are printed. And the print spooler service must be running state to complete print jobs or printer to function properly.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok,
- This will open the windows services console, scroll down and locate Print Spooler. See if its status is Running.
- If its running right click on print spooler service select restart,
- If you cant see its status here, means print spooler service not started,
- Double click on print spooler service to open its properties,
- Change its startup type automatic and start the service next to service status,
Action : How To Find An Ip Address Of Canon Printer Windows 10
How to find canon printer ip address. If there is a problem with the port you are configuring, adding a new port may resolve the printer offline. If you know the printer name or IP address of the wireless printer. Try to add the TCP / IP port by following the steps and fix canon printer offline error.
Open Start> Windows System Tools> Control Panel> View Devices and Printers. Right-click Offline Printers to open Printer Properties. If you see Change Properties on the General tab, click it. Click the Ports Tab. Click to Add Port. The available port types will be displayed. Select Standard TCP / IP Port & hit New Port. Add Standard TCP / IP Port starts. Click Next. Enter the Printer Name or IP Address. Refer manual for Printer model or IP address. Click Next to add the new printer port. Finally, click OK. You can add a new printer port by following the steps above. Check if the offline of the printer is improved.
Action 9: Disconnect the VPN connection
If you have a VPN connection on your computer, the IP address assigned to your computer may change and you may not be able to communicate normally with the printer. If you are using a VPN connection, disconnect it and then check if the printer goes online.
To disconnect the VPN connection, follow the steps below.
- Select the Connected VPN and click Disconnect
- Finally, check the canon printer driver when the wireless canon printer goes offline in windows 10 and cannot print.
Also Check: Where To Find The Wps Pin For My Hp Printer
Solution Four: Remove And Add The Printer
If the above solution has not worked, try removing the printer from the system and adding it again. It is a rather simple process. However, you may also be required to download some drivers and OEMs applications. Heres how to proceed:
- Disconnect the printer from your PC.
- Navigate to Devices > Printers and Scanners.
- Select Remove device.
How To Connect A Printer To Your Network
First and foremost, know that with Windows most recent operating system, installing external devices has become super easy. If you just read the on-screen prompts carefully, adding a printer should not take more than fifteen minutes.
If you have a network printer, simply follow these steps:
Don’t Miss: Hp 4650 Printing Blank Pages
Why Does My Printer Go Offline In Windows 10
Your printer might appear offline if it cant communicate with your PC. Your printers built-in menu should show which network its connected to, or check your printers manual for more info. Verify that your printer is not in Use Printer Offline mode. Select Start > Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
Why Is My Printer Offline
The sections in the article above provide a bunch of different options and settings that you can check in order to see why your printer might be offline.
There are so many potential reasons that your printer might be offline that its hard to point to one specific reason why it might be happening.
In my experience, the best, simplest, and most useful thing that you can do when your printer is showing as offline is to simply restart the printer.
This can resolve issues related to a wireless printer that isnt connected to a network, it can force the print spooler to restart, and it can fix print jobs that are stuck in the print queue.
While your printer is going through the process of restarting it can be helpful to restart your computer, too. And if you have a wireless printer and have been experiencing connection issues with other wireless devices as well, then even restarting your modem and your router might not be a bad idea.
Don’t Miss: Hp Laserjet Printing Blank Pages
How Do You Change The Status Of The Printer From Offline To Online
2] Change Printer Status
20 . 2019 .
Dont Miss: Hp Envy Prints Blank Pages
Run The Printer Troubleshooter
Windows 10 includes a number of troubleshooters that aim to detect and automatically resolve any issues. There is a printer troubleshooter that you can run and hope it fixes the printer offline error.
Press Windows key + I to open Settings and click Devices > Printers & scanners. On the right-hand menu, beneath Related settings, click Run the troubleshooter.
The troubleshooter will then open and run through a series of checks. If it encounters any problems, it will tell you what they are and the steps taken to resolve them. Even if it doesn’t find any issue, you can click View detailed information to get a breakdown.
Read Also: Hp 2540 Printer Offline
Seven Use Print Spooler Service
The print spooler service controls the interactions between your computer and printer. You can restart the service to get the printer online. Heres how you can do it
Step 1) Open your computers start menu, type Services, and press enter. You can also press Windows Key + R and search by typing Service.msc.
Step 2) Look for the Print Spooler option and right-click on it. Then choose Restart, and your offline printer will go online again.
Disable Use Printer Offline Mode
You should check that the “Use Printer Offline” mode isn’t enabled. You may have done this accidentally or your printer or some software may have turned it on.
Press Windows key + I to open Settings. Go to Devices > Printers & scanners. Select your printer and click Open queue. Click Printer on the toolbar and ensure Use Printer Offline doesn’t have a tick next to it. If it does, click it to disable this.
Don’t Miss: Can I Connect My Phone To My Printer
Why Is Lexmark Printer Offline On Windows 10
Lexmark printer is a printer that offers several awesome features like high-tech technology and easy printing. But, people do have the query related to why Lexmark printer says offline, so to fix the issue you need to set up the communication problem between the printer and system.
Solution 1: Changing the Printer Settings
You should try changing the Lexmark printer settings from offline to online.
- Start by going to settings and then click on printers.
- Now, select use printer offline by right clicking on it.
Solution 2: Clear All Your Print Work
The next thing to do with the Lexmark network printer offline is to clear off all your print work.
- Go to the printer menu by double-clicking on the Lexmark printer.
- Ensure that there is no struck print job as it might cause an offline error.
- Once again, set the printer back to online mode. Take the print test.
Solution 3: Restart The Lexmark Printer
- Start by turning off the printer and then turn it on.
- Ensure that your Lexmark printer is not jammed.
- Check out the network connection to ensure that none are loose.
Solution 4: Reinstall the Printer Driver
These are some of the quick solutions to use to resolve the issue ofwhy is Lexmark printer offline on Windows 10. You can use any solution according to the problem to resolve the issue.
Solution: Set Your Printer As Default On Windows 10 Manually
Examine HP printer to set as default property to bypass printer keeps going offline on Windows 10.
- Search for devices and then click on Printer and Scanners from the set of displayed devices.
- If it is considered as checked, uncheck the box near Let Windows manage my default printer.
- Watch for your printer name from the record of printers, and then succeed with the Manage button.
- If many devices with the same name, then you require to choose the printer which has a status idle or online.
- Next, below manage your wireless printer device, click on set as default.
- Again, try to print any paper. If the printer still keeps showing offline, then watch the succeeding method.
Dont Miss: Axacore Fax Bridge
Also Check: Hp Printer Uninstall Cleanup Tool
Walls And Long Distance Connection
Your homes interior walls may affect your WiFi signal reaching your printer. Or your wifi router is too far or has a weak signal which causes your printer to disconnect from time to time. This can easily be solved by moving those two closer to each other.If thats not possible, then you might consider using a WiFi extender.
Change Printer Status To Online
- Open control panel then Devices and Printers
- This will display the installed printer list, locate the printer you want to change to online
- Right-click on it and make sure to set the printer as default,
- Again right-click on that printer and this time select see whats printing
A new window opens, Click Printer. Here if you see a tick next to the option Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline, remove them to change your printer status from offline to online.
Recommended Reading: Uninstalling Printer Drivers
Fix : Update Your Version Of Windows
Running an outdated operating system also causes many problems, like the one when your printer says offline. Therefore, to fix the issue, you need to carry out the Windows update.
Here is the complete process to do it.
- Put the shortcut command Windows+I to use to get your computers Settings.
- Make a selection of the Update & Security settings.
- Check for updates to your operating system.
- After the successful execution of the above steps, make sure to restart your computer.
Solution Three: Run The Printer Troubleshooter
The Printer Troubleshooter is part of Windows in-house troubleshoot package and it is designed to solve a variety of printer problems on your PC, including driver errors, connectivity issues, restarting printer related services, and so on. Heres how to run the Printer Troubleshooter:
- Navigate to Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot.
- The program will scan your printer and related software for potential issues and fix them if any are discovered.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect My Iphone To My Wireless Printer
Managing Printers In Windows 10
Now that youve learned how to connect a printer, its time to learn how to manage them. Say you have multiple printers at home or in the office and you have connected them all to your computer. Whenever you need to see which printers are indeed added or if you want to manage them, all you have to do is open Devices and Printers again.
Alternatively, you can click on the Start button, then click Settings and find Devices. Open Printers and Scanners to find all of your connected printers. You can then check on their properties and choose which one to set as the default. You can also conveniently set your printing preferences or remove a printer from this interface.
Additional Troubleshooting For An Offline Printer In Windows 7
- Check that the printer is turned on, and that the USB cable is properly connected to both the back of the printer and your computer. If your printer is wireless, you may need to restart the printer, then restart your computer to see if you can re-establish the wireless connection.
- If you are using a wireless printer, have you recently changed your router, or changed the name of the wireless network? If so, you may need to update your wireless printer with the new wireless network settings. If your wireless printer does not feature a control panel on the printer that allows you to change the network settings, you may need to temporarily connect the printer to your computer with a USB cable to modify the settings.
- If your wired printer is still showing an offline status, despite the fact that it is plugged in and connected to your computer, then there may be a problem with the port to which the device is connected.
Also Check: Wps Pin Printer Hp Deskjet 3630