How To Install A Wireless Printer On Your Smartphone And Tablet
If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you can print wirelessly from them too. Look for printing applications from the manufacturer of your printer. For example, Canon has a free application called Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY that is available both for iPhone and Android.
A mobile app for a wireless printer
How To Connect A Printer To A Windows 10 Computer
Youve got yourself a new computer with a Windows 10 OS, or perhaps you recently updated or reformatted your machine with Windows latest operating system. Whatever the case, you now find yourself at a loss on how to connect a printer to your computer. Dont worry. This guide will smooth out the whole process for you.
Troubleshooting Tips For Wifi Printer Issues
In case you are having troubles using your connected Wireless Printer, or maybe even during the setup, we have some useful tips for you that you can try out to fix the issues.
- While trying to connect a wireless printer with your computer, always make sure both the computer and the printer are connected over the same wireless network.
- In case your computer fails to find your printer over the network, you can connect your printer with the computer via USB and complete the setup on a wired connection to install the drivers. Later on, you can shift back to the wireless mode and start using the printer normally.
- If the printer has suddenly stopped responding, you can try turning off the printer for a few seconds, and then restart it, to fix the Printer hardware issues.
- If your problem is software-based, you can run the Troubleshooter program on your computer to look for the problems and fix them. Simply go to the Devices and Printers section on your computer > Click on your Printers name > Click on Manage > Run the Troubleshooter.
- If any of the above tips are not working, you can try to remove the Printer, and Add it back once again. For that, you can simply go to the Devices and Printers section> Find your Printer and click on it > Click on Remove. Now, connect your printer using a USB connection, and set it up once again by clicking on the Add a Printer option.
Read Also: How To Get An Hp Printer Online
Reboot Or Unplug To Start Fresh
It’s become a cliche in tech circles, but with printers, it’s true more often than not: sometimes you just need to turn it off and turn it back on again. Often, that means pressing and holding the power button until it shuts down . If this doesn’t workmine sometimes says “busy” and won’t let me power it offyou may have to unplug it completely, then plug it back in.
It’s nice when this works, but it means there’s no permanent solution to this recurring issue, and much like a router that stops broadcasting, you may have to go through this process whenever the printer drops its connection. You could, however, plug your printer into a smart plug and use a voice assistant like Alexa to reboot it on command.
Install A Printer In Windows 10
When you connect a printer to your PC or add a new printer to your home network, you can usually start printing right away. Windows 10 supports most printers, so you probably won’t have to install special printer software. Additional printer drivers and support might be available if you update Windows 10.
Note: If your PC is running Windows 10 S, some printers might not work with it, or they might have limited functionality. For more info, see Device support on Windows 10 S.
Don’t Miss: How To Setup Scan To Computer On Hp Printer
How To Connect Your Printer
For this guide, I’ll be using my trusty HP 4500, but any wireless printer or all-in-one should work just fine.
This guide will cover direct connections, so if you’re interested in learning more about HomeGroup in Windows 10, be sure to check out our in-depth guide, which will enable you to set up and configure the sharing of printers and content.
Type in “printer.”
Select the printer from the results.
You should be now good to go. This process will also work with wired printers, simply plug in the unit, and follow the steps above.
Wired Network Printer Setup
In case your printer model does not provide you with the functionality to connect with the router wirelessly, you can follow up on this method to set up your printer for working over the network.
- For the first step, we need to connect the printer with the network. You can do so by connecting the printer with your Wi-Fi router with the help of an ethernet cable. Usually, its present at the back of the printer.
- Dont forget to plug in the printer to a power source and turn it On.
- Once you have connected the printer to your Wi-Fi router, you can simply go to Settings > Devices and Printers> Add a Printer, while connected to the same Wi-Fi network. The computer will automatically detect all the printers connected to the network and will install the required drivers for it on its own.
- Select the Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer option, it will show all the printers that are available on the network at that time.
- Select your Printer from the list, and click on the Install Driver option. Follow up the on-screen instructions and complete the setup.
Don’t Miss: Canon Printer Online Setup
How To Install A Wireless Printer On Your Windows 10 Computer
Now you should install the printer on your computers. You should not have executed any installation/configuration steps on any of your devices until now. For your computers to locate the printer over the network and use it for printing, you have to install and configure the printers drivers on each computer that is part of your network.
In Windows 10, this part of the process should be handled automatically by the operating system. It might happen that it didnt detect and configure your wireless printer automatically. In that case, you can either use your operating systems built-in wizards to add the printer to your computer or run the printers bundled software.
The setup software of a wireless printer
If you choose to use the printers bundled software, follow the installation wizards steps, but do not forget to choose the option called Use the printer with wireless LAN connection when asked about the printer connection method.
If you choose to use the wizard from the Settings app in Windows 10, there is nothing different between a network or a local printer. The steps are the same, and we already detailed them in this tutorial: How to install a local printer on your Windows computer.
A wireless printer installed from Windows 10’s Settings
Add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network discoverable printer – this is the first thing you should try. If it can find it in your network, your Windows 10 computer shows it and lets you install the printer using this option.
How To Set Up And Install A Computer Printer
A computer printer does not work until you install the included drivers and software. If you have lost the CD for your printer, you can the drivers for your printer and use them to install your printer. A listing of printer manufacturers and links to their associated driver download pages are on our page.
Also Check: How To Connect My Computer To My Canon Printer
Is Your Wireless Printer Out Of Range
If the printer only occasionally appears online, it could be out of range of your router.
You can check this by comparing its reliability when placed close to the router. Better results will indicate a printer that needs a permanent home within range of the router. Dead zones can result in no Wi-Fi reception in specific parts of your property, so avoid placement here.
Should moving the printer prove impractical, try a powerline adapter. These are available with Wi-Fi repeater functionality or can simply link your printer via Ethernet to the router via your home’s electric wiring.
Setup Printer And Install Software
After connecting the printer and turning it on, you’ll need to install the printer’s software and drivers. Every printer should come with the software used to install a printer in Windows or your operating system.
You May Like: Setup Canon Printer On Iphone
How To Connect A Wireless Printer To Your Home Network
At this point, there are three common alternatives:
Accessing the Wireless LAN setup menu on a Wi-Fi printer
1. Connect the wireless printer to your home network by entering the networks name, also known as the SSID, and its password in the printers configuration options. This choice only works if your wireless printer has a screen and buttons, which you can use to type the network information directly on the printer.Select the Wi-Fi connection and go through your printers setup wizard. You probably have security enabled on your router. In that case, you should be asked to select the network and enter the password . After you finish entering all the details, the printer starts the connection procedure. Unless you have an out-of-the-ordinary setup , the Wi-Fi connection should be established in a couple of seconds.
2. Connect the wireless printer to your home network by pressing the WPS button on the printer and the router. First, you have to press the WPS button found on your router to turn on the discovery of new devices. Then, push the WPS button on the printer too. The wireless printer automatically detects and connects to your Wi-Fi network without having to enter the network password or other details. Even if you shut down your printer or your router, they remember their configuration and should connect as soon as you turn them back on.
The web based configuration interface of a wireless printer
Wps Push Button Method
Some wireless routers will have a WPS Push Button, which is essentially a wireless printer sync. While not all wireless routers will have this technical feature, those that do are much easier to connect to a wireless printer.
To connect a wireless printer to a wireless network using the WPS Push Button, perform the following operation:
If the wireless sync fails, press the STOP button, and try the sync again.
This isnt an option available for all wireless routers, but its worth taking a look at your router to see if it is available when you get ready to set up your wireless printer. It can end up saving you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Also Check: Printer Won T Come Online
How To Connect A Printer Via Wireless Network
If you want to connect a wireless printer, the connection process may seem more daunting, but youll be surprised to find how smooth the transition from wired to wireless can be.
Step 1: Locate your settings
- Once turned on and ready for configuration, youll need to connect the printer to your home WiFi
- While the steps on installation vary by manufacturer, most modern printers will have an LCD screen that lists the available WiFi networks
- On this screen, click around and locate the setup page that allows you to adjust the Wireless LAN Settings
Step 2: Link your WiFi network
- After accessing your LAN settings, youll need to locate your home network service set identifier – better known as your SSID
- You can find your SSID by hovering your mouse over the WiFi icon located at the bottom right of your taskbar
- Your SSID is also located on the bottom or side of your internet service providers router
Step 3: Complete connectivity
- With the SSID selected, youre ready to enter your network password
- Once entered, your printer is prepped for all printing activity
Step 4: Locate your printer settings
- Locate the gear icon link to your settings window and click on the icon labeled Devices
Step 5: Connect the printer to the computer
How To Connect Canon Printer To Wifi: 3 Methods
ClickLikeThis helps adventurers get the most from their GoPro. When you use our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
Wirelessly printing is super convenient. Here are 3 simple, step-by-step methods to connect Canon printer to WiFi, so you are sure to find one that is easy for you!
Canon printers can be connected to a wireless connection by using a smart device to send the router information to the printer, connecting the printer to the router using a Canon Print Inkjet app, pressing the WPS button, or entering a WPS pin code.
Of course, the printer must be plugged in and powered up to connect to a wireless network successfully.
Connecting a wireless printer might seem confusing if youve never done it before, but the guide below will help teach you how to get set up. Read on to learn more about connecting your Canon printer to your WiFi to print your photographs.
You May Like: Hp Officejet 4622 Price
Configure Internet Access On The Printer
These are the general steps to connect a wireless printer to a Wi-Fi network:
Power on the Wi-Fi router and the laptop.
Power on the printer.
On the printer control panel, go to the wireless setup settings.
If you use an Epson printer, navigate to Setup > Wireless LAN Settings. If you have an HP printer, go to Network.
Select the wireless SSID of the Wi-Fi network.
Enter the Wi-Fi security password. The password is the WEP key or WPA passphrase for the router.
The wireless light on the printer will turn on when the printer connects to the Wi-Fi.
Restart The Computer And The Printer
Also Check: How To Change Printer Settings On Mac
Why Is A Usb Printer Necessary For The Fritzbox Gigabit Router
The fritz box dual-band gigabit router offers high-speed network connectivity. The WiFi connectivity technology is there for this router. The Fon port is also available in this router, so you can simply connect a mobile phone to the router. The LAN port is also available that is usually more useful for the PC, game, console, network, & more.
Additionally, the 2Ã USB port is also built-in in the fritz box router. Through this port, you can simply establish the connection. If you have a wireless printer, & wish to remotely print the documents then you need to establish the connection. With the USB port that is built-in in the wireless printer, simply make the USB network connection.
To Install Or Add A Network Wireless Or Bluetooth Printer
If your printer is on and connected to the network, Windows should find it easily. Available printers can include all printers on a network, such as Bluetooth and wireless printers or printers that are plugged into another computer and shared on the network. You might need permission to install some printers.
Select the Start button, then select Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.Open Printers & scanners settings
Select Add a printer or scanner. Wait for it to find nearby printers, then choose the one you want to use, and select Add device.
If your printer isn’t in the list, select The printer that I want isn’t listed, and then follow the instructions to add it manually using one of the options.
If you use wireless access points, extenders or multiple wireless routers with separate SSIDs, you’ll need to ensure that you’re connected to the same network as the printer for your PC to find and install it.
If you have a new wireless printer that hasnt been added to your home network, read the instructions that came with the printer, and check the printer manufacturers website to learn more and to get up-to-date software for your printer.
Read Also: How Come My Printer Won’t Print
Setting Up Your Printer
Theres no one single way of setting up a wireless printer. The major printer brands Brother, Canon, Epson, and HP, among others all use different steps to set up their printers on Wi-Fi networks or via Bluetooth. Even within the same brand, the way you get started changes from product to product.
The best advice is to consult your printers product or user manual. If you cant find yours, try searching for it online using the exact product name, which should be somewhere on the printer, either printed directly on the case or on a sticker. Only download user manuals from the manufacturers website.
On this page: