Is The Printer On Your Network
If not, check the printer is powered up. If it is, try the ping command from the Windows command line. To do this:
If this doesn’t work, try restarting your printer, then restart your router. Still no change? It’s worth restarting Windows at this point as well.
Connect The Printer To A Wireless Network Using The Wireless Wizard
NOTE: A video is provided at the end of these steps.
A Guide To Connecting Your Wireless Printer
Having a wireless printer offers you the convenience of printing from any connected device, in your work or home network. But, connecting a wireless printer isnt always easy and in fact can feel like a really complicated task.
One thing to bear in mind is that there is more than one type of wireless printing, such as Bluetooth enabled printers and infrared connections. However, when most people are discussing wireless printers, they are talking about WiFi printers.
Installing and configuring a wireless printer requires a it more work than installing your traditional printer using a USB cable. If youve been struggling to sync things up this guide should straighten things out:
Also Check: How To Remove Printer Drivers
The Advantages To Wireless Printing
Wireless printing is convenient, whether you’re at home, work, or school. Here are a few of the benefits of wireless printing.
- Printers for every budget: The major printer manufacturers include Wi-Fi in their printer models, often at all price points. You can buy a wireless printer for less than $50.
- Print from anywhere: With cloud printing solutions like HP ePrint, you can print wirelessly to a printer in another physical location. It makes it easier for people to print because it eliminates the need to install the printer and its drivers beforehand. You can also print from any device connected to the same network.
- Eliminate extra cords and cables: A wireless printer only has a power cord attached to it, eliminating the extra wires. You can set it up in a suitable location, and it frees up a USB port on your computer that you can use for something else.
- Save on energy and paper costs: Instead of having multiple printers set up wherever anyone needs to print, you can centralize printing to a single wireless printer. You could save on paper, toner, and ink costs because everyone might think twice before printing.
Most new printers connect to any wireless network. So you can print from your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. For most people, wireless printing refers to Bluetooth-enabled printing or Wi-Fi printing. Both allow you to print without connecting any cables between your device and the printer.
Printing From An Iphone Or Ipad
Don’t Miss: Printing From Android Phone To Hp Printer
Connect Your Printer To Your Router Via Usb
This is the first thing you should consider if you want to convert your wired printer. That’s because many routers today have a USB port at the back, allowing it to act as a server for your home network. If your router has a USB port, it most probably acts as a USB host, allowing all computers connected to it access to the device.
For example, if you plug a USB drive into the USB port, you can use that as network-attached storage. So anyone connected to your Wi-Fi or LAN would be able to copy and paste files into that storage. The same goes if you attach a printer to your router. However, if you do that, you should first check the router’s settings to ensure that it’s set to printer server mode and not as a NAS.
If your router only has one USB port, that means you have to pick between using it as a print server or storage. You can’t attach a USB hub to the port and make it use both as it will confuse the system.
How To Install A Wireless Printer On Your Windows 10 Computer
Now you should install the printer on your computers. You should not have executed any installation/configuration steps on any of your devices until now. For your computers to locate the printer over the network and use it for printing, you have to install and configure the printers drivers on each computer that is part of your network.
In Windows 10, this part of the process should be handled automatically by the operating system. It might happen that it didnt detect and configure your wireless printer automatically. In that case, you can either use your operating systems built-in wizards to add the printer to your computer or run the printers bundled software.
The setup software of a wireless printer
If you choose to use the printers bundled software, follow the installation wizards steps, but do not forget to choose the option called Use the printer with wireless LAN connection when asked about the printer connection method.
If you choose to use the wizard from the Settings app in Windows 10, there is nothing different between a network or a local printer. The steps are the same, and we already detailed them in this tutorial: How to install a local printer on your Windows computer.
A wireless printer installed from Windows 10’s Settings
Add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network discoverable printer – this is the first thing you should try. If it can find it in your network, your Windows 10 computer shows it and lets you install the printer using this option.
Don’t Miss: Replace Ink Cartridge Epson Wf 2630
How To Connect A Wireless Printer To Your Home Network
At this point, there are three common alternatives:
Accessing the Wireless LAN setup menu on a Wi-Fi printer
1. Connect the wireless printer to your home network by entering the networks name, also known as the SSID, and its password in the printers configuration options. This choice only works if your wireless printer has a screen and buttons, which you can use to type the network information directly on the printer.Select the Wi-Fi connection and go through your printers setup wizard. You probably have security enabled on your router. In that case, you should be asked to select the network and enter the password . After you finish entering all the details, the printer starts the connection procedure. Unless you have an out-of-the-ordinary setup , the Wi-Fi connection should be established in a couple of seconds.
2. Connect the wireless printer to your home network by pressing the WPS button on the printer and the router. First, you have to press the WPS button found on your router to turn on the discovery of new devices. Then, push the WPS button on the printer too. The wireless printer automatically detects and connects to your Wi-Fi network without having to enter the network password or other details. Even if you shut down your printer or your router, they remember their configuration and should connect as soon as you turn them back on.
The web based configuration interface of a wireless printer
How Do I Connect My Wireless Printer To A New Router
When you change your router, your Wi-Fi network changes, too. It might be faster, operate on new frequencies , and it will undoubtedly have a new SSID. That means if you want to keep your printer connected to a wireless network, you’re going to need to reconnect it.
Confirm your new router’s wireless network is functioning if you haven’t yet. Then, note down the Wi-Fi password your new router uses to secure your network.
Power on your printer and use its control panel to find the networking settings menu. This process will differ by the printer. Some have physical buttons and a display, others a touchscreen, and some an application on your phone. Consult the manufacturer’s website or the manual for explicit instructions per model.
You’re typically looking for Networking, Wireless, or Wi-Fi settings. Possibly within a Settings or Setup menu.
In the Wi-Fi settings menu, search for the SSID of your new router. If you’re unsure of it, consult the sticker on the router, the manual, or your manufacturer’s website.
When you’ve found it, select it.
When prompted, enter the Wi-Fi password. It will be the one you used during the router setup process or the default option, which you can find on the router sticker, the manual, or the manufacturer’s website.
If you’re still using the default Wi-Fi password, it can be a good idea to change it in the router’s admin settings. Changing your Wi-Fi password can help prevent hackers or malware from attacking your network.
Read Also: How To Get Dried Printer Ink Off Hands
Connect It To A Router Via Ethernet
Even though your printer doesnt have WiFi, it may have an Ethernet port. If thats the case, you can just connect it with a cable via any of the open Ethernet ports on the back of your router. If you make use of a powerline Ethernet extender, you can connect the printer to your router from virtually anywhere in your home.
Just bear in mind that youll most likely need to configure the printer to work properly over Ethernet. That might be something you can do on the printer itself using its screen and buttons. Alternatively, you might have to configure it using software on your PC and a USB connection, or perhaps by logging into the printer over the network.
Plug The Printer Into Your Router Directly
If you’re flexible about where you store your printer, your best bet is to remove it from the Wi-Fi network entirely and hard-wire it to your router. Connecting it with a wire may not solve all your problems, but it will ensure its connection to the network is much more stable, lessening the number of troubleshooting steps you have to go through every time.
If you have Ethernet in your home, try connecting it to the network that wayyou may find an Ethernet jack hidden somewhere on your printer . If you don’t have Ethernet in the house, this is one area where powerline adapters can come in handy.
Recommended Reading: Print Queue Wont Clear
How To Connect A Printer To Your Home Network
Many printers are capable of connecting to a network, either through a wired or wireless connection. Setting up a printer on your home network allows you to connect your computers without physically plugging them into the printer.
In order to connect a printer to your home network, the printer must have a built-in Wi-Fi adapter or wired network connection port. Select a link below for the type of printer you have and follow the instructions to connect it to your home network.
Print A Wireless Network Test Report
Print a Wireless Network Test Report to find information about your printer network connection or to troubleshoot connection issues.
Print a Wireless Network Test Report:
Inkjet printers with a control panel menu: Open the Wireless, Network Settings, or Setup menu to locate the list of available reports.
Most inkjet printers without a control panel menu: Press the Wireless and Information buttons at the same time, or press the Wireless and Start Copy Black buttons at the same time.
LaserJet printers: Press and hold the Wireless button for 10 seconds or until the Ready light blinks, or go to the Wireless menu and selectWireless Network Test.
Laser NS and Neverstop Laser printers: Press and hold the Resume and Wireless buttons for 3 seconds.
DeskJet 6000 and 6400, ENVY 6000 and 6400, and Tango printers: Touch and hold theInformation button until all control panel buttons light up, and then touch the Information and Resume buttons at the same time.
Review the information on the report, and then follow any instructions provided to troubleshoot connectivity problems.
Recommended Reading: Turning Printer Online Windows 8
How To Add A Printer On A Mac
If you are using a MAC, here are your steps:
- Select your Wi-Fi network using the built-in controls on your printer. You may be prompted to enter your network username and password if it is a secured network.
- You need to install the necessary printer driver on your MAC r from the CD that came with your printer. If it doesnt come with CD came with your printer, go to the manufacturers website and download the software for your printer model.
- Select System Preferences from your Dock.
- Choose Print & Fax control panel in the Hardware section.
- You will then need to select the IP tab at the top of the window and choose Internet Protocol IPP from the list of protocols.
- Type in your wireless printers IP address and the queue name.
- Select the correct printer driver from the Print Using drop-down menu.
- Finally click the Add button to finish setting up the wireless printer. The printer will now continue to show up as an available device the next time you print.
Did you know you can also print wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet? All you need to do is look for printer applications from your manufacturer of the printer.
Share Your Printer Through A Pc
Most operating systems, including Windows, let you share a printer connected to the computer with other devices on the network. In this situation, the PC that has the printer attached acts as a print server, in addition to whatever else its doing.
Assuming that your printer is connected to the computer and working, its not hard to share it:
If you like, you can also change the share name of the printer at this point. This is the name that everyone else sees when looking for a network printer to use.
This is probably the fastest and cheapest way to make a wired printer wireless, but it does have significant drawbacks. First of all, your computer has to stay on all the time, otherwise the printer wont be available.Thats not the most energy-efficient solution, if you care about that aspect of things.
WIth lower-end computers, handling print requests can also affect the performance of that computer, which might not be what you want to happen in the middle of something else.
Also Check: Connect Dell E310dw To Wifi
How To Install A Wireless Printer On Your Smartphone And Tablet
If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you can print wirelessly from them too. Look for printing applications from the manufacturer of your printer. For example, Canon has a free application called Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY that is available both for iPhone and Android.
A mobile app for a wireless printer
Connecting Using A Network Key Or Pin
If your printer doesnt have WPS, youll probably have to enter a network key a series of numbers and letters into the printer using the function buttons and screen on the printer in order to establish the connection between your printer and router.
Provided you haven’t changed the password since, the network key will be in your routers documentation, or on a label on the router.
You May Like: How To Scan With A Canon Mg2520
How To Connect The Printer And Router Via Wireless Lan
FAQ ID: 8202495300
Before connecting this printer to the network, confirm the following two items, and . Wireless router Your wireless router is the device that connects the network devices in your home to the Internet and allows communication between those devices on your home network. A wireless router is necessary for the procedure described here. To use your printer over a wireless connection, your wireless router must already be set up. The computer to be used with the printer must be connected to the network. In order to confirm whether the computer to be used with the printer is connected to the network, try to browse the Internet website from the computer.
- For information regarding your wireless router’s setup method and functionality, refer to its instruction manual or contact its manufacturer.
- Regarding the setup method of the computer, refer to the instruction manual for the computer you are using, or contact its manufacturer.