How Can I Troubleshoot If My Printer Is Not Connecting
Before you try anything else with your printer, you can follow the golden rule of switching it off and switching it on again. If that trick fails and your printer is still not connecting to WiFi, then the issue could actually be with the WiFi connectivity of your printer or of your router. To identify this, check if your router is working properly and has a strong WiFi signal. Then, follow the below steps.
Unplug the printer and reconnect it to your router again. You can also use the troubleshoot function on your PC to detect connection issues with a device such as your printer. Should that not work, try using a different method of connecting your printer to the WiFi – ideally, either with a USB or Ethernet cable. Alternatively, refer to the printer’s manual for further troubleshooting options if your printer is not connecting.
Add A Network Printer By Its Ip Address
If a network printer you want to use isnt in the list of available printers, you can add it as an IP printer. The printer must support one of these printing protocols: AirPrint, HP Jetdirect , Line Printer Daemon , or Internet Printing Protocol .
Note: Some printers connected using these generic protocols may offer limited functionality.
You must know the network printers IP address or host name, printing protocol, and model number or printer software name. If it uses a special queue, you also need to know the queue name. See the person who manages the printer or server for assistance.
On your Mac, update your software : Choose Apple menu ;>;System Preferences, click Software Update, then install any software updates listed. Even if no updates appear, this ensures that macOS has the latest information about printer software it can download from Apple. If you dont do this, you may see a message that software isnt available when you connect your printer.
If you have an AirPrint printer, you dont need to check for software updates.
Prepare your printer: Use the instructions that came with your printer to unpack the printer, install ink or toner, and add paper. Turn on the printer and make sure its not displaying any errors.
Connect your printer: Follow the instructions that came with the printer to connect it to the network. See the Apple Support article Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network.
How To Find A Printers Ip Address On A Mac
You can find the IP address for any connected printer:
1. Open the Apple menu System Preferences Printers and Scanners
2. In the sidebar on the left, youll see all the devices connected to your Mac
3. Select the desired printer
4. All of its characteristics, including the IP address, will be displayed on the right
Sometimes, for the initial connection you need to attach the printer to your Mac with a USB cable. Then you can use the setup assistant to connect the printer to a Wi-Fi network. Further, you will be able to conduct printing sessions wirelessly.
You May Like: Where Is My Printer Icon
How To Add A Printer Via Ip Address
If you add a printer using this step,you would need to know your printers IP address. Heres how you can find yourprinters IP address. Once you know this information, you would just have to goto System Preferences then add the printer from the Printers & Scannersmenu. Heres how you can do this step by step.
How To Add A Wi
When using your Mac the default printer is the one selected when the Print dialog opens. If theres No printer selected in the Print dialog, youll need to add a new printer.; Thankfully, its easy to add a Wi-Fi or network printer.
If your Mac and printer are already connected to the same Wi-Fi network, choose File > Print, click the Printer pop-up menu, choose Nearby Printers or Printer & Scanner preferences, then choose your printer. If your printer isnt available, you can add it. Heres how:
How To Connect A Usb Printer To Mac
Make sure that your operating system and any applications installed on your Mac are up to date before you connect a USB printer. To check if there are any software updates, go to the Apple menu About This Mac Software Update. ;
You can update any apps in App Storethe Updates section is located in the sidebar on the left. If all updates are in place, the printer should connect automatically as soon as you plug it in.
If you encounter a connection problem, you might need to download additional macOS drivers for the particular model of your device. The best place to look for them is on the device manufacturers website. Normally, if some drivers are missing, you will see a pop-up notification with the link where you can download them.
USB printers can drain a lot of energy from your computer. To make sure that your Macs battery serves well, use a multiport adapter. Additionally, its recommended to connect the printer first and only then to attach it to a USB-C cable and a power source.
How to connect a network printer to a Mac
If you are using HP Jetdirect, AirPrint, or Internet Printing Protocol , you can connect a network printer as an IP printer. ;
How To Connect Canon Mg3500 Printer To Wifi
If you are having trouble connecting your Canon MG3500 printer to wifi, this article will help you get it up and running. We have broken down the steps into easy-to-follow steps that should make things a lot less complicated for you. The first thing is to connect your device with WiFI by using the WPS button or by entering WiFi settings manually.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean A Brother Printer
How To Connect Hp Printer To Mac Without Usb
1. Your system may have automatically downloaded the HP driver. If not, do it manually by visiting the section HP Printers Drivers.;
2. Then open the Apple Menu and select System Preferences. Then click on Print & Scan .
3. Your printer may be listed here. Remove it by clicking sign and then add again by clicking sign to establish communication.;
4. Now go to Use or Print and choose your HP printer. Add your HP printer to the list. Now you will be asked to install the software. Click on Download.;
5. In case the software is not available, click Cancel. Go to HP Printer and Scanner software for MacOS Sierra and download the printer driver.
6. Now close the System Preferences.
7. Give a test print, scan, and fax to ensure that the printed driver has been successfully installed and the device has been properly connected.;
Wireless Setup Printer Instructions
Wireless Setup Printer Instructions
I am here to give you some tips on how to set up your wireless printer. These are the steps that I took in order to get my wireless printer connected and ready for use.
The first step is to look at what type of connection you have, either USB or Ethernet? This will determine whether or not the printer needs a physical wire plugged into it.
If you need a wire, plug one end of an ethernet cable into your router and then connect the other end into the back of the printer.
If there’s no need for cables, just turn on your computer and wait until it fully boots up before connecting to WiFi . Step two is deciding where exactly this device will be located inside.
Don’t Miss: How To Connect Hp Printer To Phone
Add A Usb Printer To A Mac
Compatible USB printers are almost as easy to install on a Mac as AirPrint printers.
Update the software on your Mac so that the Mac has the most recent printer drivers available.
Load the printer with paper and ink or toner and connect it to the Mac. Then, power on the printer.
Connect the printer to the Mac using the USB cable that came with the printer.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software update. You may be instructed to restart the Mac.
Test that the printer is attached using the same method used to test AirPrint printers. Open a document and select File>Print. You should see the printer name in the field next to Printer. If not, select Add Printer and select the printer from the list of available printers.
These simple steps have most printers up and running in no time, but occasionally the automatic . If you encounter problems, install the printer manually. The Mac detects any compatible printer you connect. However, you may have to add it in the Printers & Scanners System Preferences, particularly if the printer is old.
What Are The Mistakes That Occur In Your Hp Printer
Difficulty in setup.
Printer Installation or HP Printer configuration issue.
Frequent Paper Jams, Ink Cartridge Jam.
Corrupted or Out-of-date drivers.
Paper Jam in spooling location, Print spooler error.
Less printing rate.
Paper feeder picks up numerous documents.
Paper inequality error.
Computer system hangs while utilizing a printer.
Printer vehicle driver not installed correctly.
You May Like: What Is The Best Inexpensive Laser Printer
Additional Checks To Establish Whether The Router Or Access Point Is Working Correctly
The access restriction security settings on your wireless router or access point might be enabled. Carry out the checks recommended below and take action, where necessary.
- Make sure any privacy separator options are disabled.
- If there are more than two routers, the settings of all wireless routers and access points may not be configured correctly.
- If using MAC address filtering in the wireless router or access point, you need to configure the MAC address of your Brother machine.
Add A Bluetooth Printer To Mac
If you have a Bluetooth-enabled printer, you can pair it with your Mac and start printing . Before you pair your printer, add it to your printer list:;
When you need to print something, click on the Bluetooth icon on Mac > Bluetooth Preferences and pair your printer. An even easier way is to do it with ToothFairy.;
ToothFairy is your magic wand for all things Bluetooth ;no wonder the app icon looks like a magic wand! Pair any number of wireless gadgets with your Mac using custom keyboard shortcuts, switch between them, and instantly see battery levels. With Toothfairy, you dont ever have to dig through Bluetooth settings again.;
Also Check: How To Connect Printer To Computer With Usb
How To Connect Canon Printer To Wifi
Connecting Canon printer to a network connection is essential, therefore check the below steps and follow carefully:-
– Firstly, turn on your Canon inkjet printer.
– Make sure you already have a wireless router.
– You can now continue with the WPS push button or WPS PIN code method.
– We are going through the WPS push button process.
– Hence, press the Start button.
– Press the WiFi button and wait for it to flash quickly.
– Just after, press and hold the WPS button on the router.
– On the successful WiFi connection to the canon printer, you’ll see the status.
– Now install software from;canon.com/ijsetup.;;
Download Software From Canoncom/ijsetup
- Enter your Canon model on shown box and click Go, or,
- Select the model’s first letters and click on the product name.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Canon Ts3122 Printer To Iphone
How To Connect A Network Printer:
Connect the printer to Wi-Fi
1. Go to Apple menu System Preferences Printers and Scanners
2. Under the list of printers on the left, click on the plus button
3. Switch to the IP tab
4. Enter the IP address , the name of the printer and the host, the protocol that the printer is using, its queue among other printers, and approximate location. This is essential for correct printer identification.
How Do I Install My Canon Printer With A Cd
Canon printers come with an installation CD, just in case if you can’t access the Canon support site. Here’s how you can install your Canon printer with CD ROM:-
- Insert the Canon printer setup CD into the computer DVD port.
- The Canon ij setup program starts automatically.
- You can double-click on the Canon icon or Msetup4.exe to begin the installation.
- AutoPlay screen will ask to run Msetup4.exe, click YES.
- Click;Easy Install;or;Install.
- Select the connection method via USB and follow the prompts.
- Once you see the printer connection window, plug in the USB cable.
- Follow onscreen instructions to install Cd setup for canon ij printer.;
We recommend you to use;canon.con/ijsetup;site to download canon printer software and install it on your PC as it’ll provide all new features for your Canon inkjet printer.
You May Like: How To Set Up Printer To Wifi
Standard Connection Method For Mac Users Only
1. Double click on the downloaded .dmg file to open the following screen.;
Double click on the icon to start the setup. If the following screen appears, click .
When the following message is displayed, click .
Once the printer has been added, click to continue.
Once successfully printed, click .
Click , to see a list of optional software you can also install.
How To Set Up A Printer On A Mac
You can use macOS presets to create custom printer settings that will be applied to all of your printing sessions by default.
Set up a printer on a Mac:
1. Open any printable file
2. In the Preview menu on top of the screen, click on File
3. Select Print from the drop-down menu that appears
4. A printing menu will appear. To open the advanced menu, click on Show details. You can set your image to be colored or black and white, change the scale and fitting, media type and borders, etc.
5. After youve set your settings, you can set your current settings as preset. Click on the Presets menu it should be on Default Settings
6. Select Save current settings as a preset
7. Name your preset and select whether you want these settings to be applied on all printers or only the current printer
8. Click the OK button.
Also Check: Why Does My Printer Not Print
Connect Computer Or Mobile Device To Wifi
Irrespective of the method you followed to connect your printer to the WiFi, connecting your computer to the printer should be the easier half of the equation. To start, you just need to make sure that your computer or mobile device is connected to the same WiFi network as the wireless printer.
Once you have connected your computer or mobile device to the same network as the printer, you can pair your devices. Your printer’s name should pop up on the list of devices to pair or connect to – select it, and you’re ready to go! If you experience any challenges with adding the printer as a device to your computer or mobile, then do refer to the printer’s manual.
How To Connect Brother Printer To Wifi Without Cable
The article will teach you how to connect your Brother printer to wifi without the need for a cable. All you have to do is download the free app from the Apple store, follow the instructions and in less than 5 minutes your printer will be connected wirelessly.
Also Check: How To Print To A Printer On A Different Network
How To Add Your Wifi Printer
Before you can print, you need to make your printer available in the Print dialog box. To do that, go to System Preferences then Printers and Scanners, and click the + at the bottom of the list of printers on the left hand side.
In most cases, you should keep the Default tab selected. Your Mac will hunt for printers on the network to which its connected and display them in the window when it finds them. It should be able to find most modern wireless and wired network printers this way. When its found the one you want, click on it and look at the options at the bottom of the window. If the printer supports AirPint, that will be displayed opposite Use. If not, the name of the printer will be displayed.
If the printer supports AirPrint, and you want to use it, you can click Add now. If it doesnt, or you want to use the printers own drivers, click the name of the printer. You should now see a message telling you that the drivers are on Apples servers and by clicking Add, youll download them. Click Add.
If Apple doesnt have the drivers you need, youll need to open a web browser, navigate to the manufacturers website, find the drivers for your printer, and then download and install them, before returning to the Add Printer section of System Preferences.
Use Ip Address To Connect Wi
This method is a pretty useful and simple way to connect by which one can connect the device to the Mac. If you are using this method, then you will require knowing the IP Address of your Wi-Fi Printer. If you already knew the printer IP address, just go through the below-given steps.
- Step 1: Go to Apple logo > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.
- Step 2: Press the plus logo > Choose IP Icon.
- Step 3: Now enter the Printers IP address.
- Step 4: Select the Printer Driver to use and click on Add.
Read Also: How To Setup Fax On Printer