Solution : Use Command Prompt To Delete Print Queue On Windows 10
It is feasible that you make use of Windows Command Prompt to solve print job stay in queue after printing in Windows 10. You are capable of remove this print error quickly with the following steps.
Here manage to forcefully clear the print queue for Windows 10 using Command Prompt. You are to stop the print spooler in order to delete the spooler files and after that, you are able to restart the print spooler again on Windows 10.
1. Type in Command Prompt in the search box and then right click the result to Run as administrator.
2. In Command Prompt, type in net stop spooler and then press Enter to run this command to stop the print spooler from printing.
3. Then search File Explorer in Start search box and hit Enter to open it. Or you can directly right click This PC on the Desktop to navigate to the file explorer.
4. In File Explorer, in the address bar search C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers and then stroke Enter to go to this folder.
5. In Printer folder, right click all the files to Delete them.
6. After that, go back to the Command Prompt, and then input net start spooler in it.
When you press Enter to execute this command, you will have also started the print spooler again.
At this moment, you may as well try to check if you can delete the documents from print queue and clear the print work on Windows 10.
Stop Clear And Restart Print Spooler From Command Prompt To Clear Print Queue
Whenever you try to print a file, Windows creates a print job and adds it as a file in the Printers folder located in the C drive. By deleting all those;print job files, you can clear the print queue. Since the files are actively used by the print spooler service, you need to first stop it and then delete the print job files. From the command prompt, you can stop the Print Spooler service, clear the queue and start the service in one go. Let me show you how.
1. Search for the Command Prompt in the start menu. Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator option.
2. The above action will open the command prompt with admin rights. Use the below command to stop the print spooler service.
net stop spooler
3. Next, you need to delete the print job files. For that, use the below command to delete files. Dont worry, we are not deleting anything important. These files are just responsible for the print queue.
del /Q /F /S "%windir%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
4. After deleting the print job files, you need to start the print spooler again so that you can print your files without restarting Windows. For that use the below command.
net start spooler
That is it. From now on, you should be able to print files without the print queue getting stuck. If the print queue does get stuck again, follow the above procedure once more to clear the print queue.
Stop Print Spooler Service And Clear Queued Files
If you dont like or not comfortable using the command prompt method, you can manually stop the print spooler services from the management console and manually delete the print job files. Let me show you how.
.;Type %windir%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\ in the field and press Enter. This will open the print jobs folder.
Note: If you see an administrator;confirmation prompt while opening the folder, click on the Continue button.
5. Select all the files and hit the Delete button on your keyboard.
4. Once deleted, this is how the PRINTERS folder should look like.
6. Now, go to the Services window, right-click on the Print Spooler service and select the Start option. This will start the print spooler service so that you can print your files.
After deleting the print job files, you are done clearing the print queue. You can now start printing again and dont have to worry about stuck prints.
Read Also: Which Printer Has The Cheapest Ink
How To Simply Cancel Print Job Windows 10
To remove a print job in Windows 10, you need to follow these steps:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
Step 2: Select your printer and click Open queue.
Step 3: Choose the problematic file and cancel it.
If the printer queue is still stuck, you can go to the Printer menu and click Cancel All Documents. If this wont work, restart your computer and printer, unplug any wired connections and plug them back before the reboot is finished.
If you have tried these common solutions but to no avail, here are some ways for you to fix a print queue that isnt deleted.
Solution : Cancel The Stuck Print Job On Windows 10
Only when you have learned how to correctly cancel the print work can you see why you cannot clear the print queue on Windows 10.
So the first thing you need to do is to attempt to cancel print job on Windows 10, on the basis of this action, you are qualified to try to delete the print queue from Windows 10.
To cancel a print job on Windows 10, just right click the printing work and then choose Cancel from the right drop-menu.
If you can successfully stop the print work, maybe you can also clear print queue in Windows 10.
Recommended Reading: What Does Collated Mean Printer
Delete Files From The Windows Print Spooler Directory
If you are unable to clear printer queue from the settings app, here follow steps below to delete them from the windows print spooler directory.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open services console,
- Scroll down and look for service named print spooler,
- Right click on print spooler service and select stop,
- Then press Windows + R, on the keyboard, type below path and click ok,
- Here delete all the files inside the printers folder,
- Now again open services console and start the print spooler service.
- To do this right click on print spooler service select start.
Thats all, now try printout some documents, you may notice there is no more print jobs stay in the queue after printing windows 10.
What Is Print Queue
When a document was given a command to print but for some reason, it did not and you just forgot about it, then the document was queued on the command list of the printer. Next time when you give the command to print another document, the printer wont be able to because of the queued document/documents. Unless you clear those queued documents from the associated Windows, the printer will not work properly.
Also Check: How To Restart Printer Spooler
How To Clear The Print Queue In Windows 10 Without Restarting
Printers are the bane of the computer. No matter what printer you are using, for whatever reason, you will face all sorts of problems while connecting or trying to print files. One of those problems is the print getting stuck. When a print is stuck, it will not be printed. Whats more, it will stop all the other prints in the queue from printing. Simply put, if you have one print that is stuck, it will stop the entire queue and prevent other files from printing.
To make matter worse, the options to clear print queue are hidden deep and the apps provided by the printer manufacturer are no better either. That being said, though the options are not so easy to find, it is quite easy to clear the print queue with just a few clicks. There are four different methods to clear the print queue. I will list all of them. Follow the one you like.
What Causes Printer Spooler To Stop Working
Sometimes Print Spooler service can keep stopping because of Print Spooler files too many, pending, or corrupt files. Deleting your print spooler files can clear pending print jobs, or the too many files or solve the corrupt files to resolve the problem.
Also Check: Why Does My Hp Envy Keep Going Offline
Delete Stuck Print Queue Via Command Prompt
1 Search Command Prompt in search box of windows 10 and open Command prompt as admin by right clicking on it .
2 Now, type the following command and hit enter.
net stop spooler
3 Now, type again; the command given below to delete spooler files.
del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q
4 Finally, write the command given below and hit enter to restart the Print spooler service.
net start spooler
Reinstall The Print Driver
note:If you are using a USB connection, only connect the cable when instructed to do so during the software installation.
Recommended Reading: How To Restart A Spooler For Printer
Clear Printer Queue For Mac Method 2
Another technique you can try in this how to clear a printer queue tutorial for Mac OS is accessible via the Printer System Preferences. You can use this one if the printer icon is not visible in the OS Dock.
How Do I Clear The Print Spooler
How to Manually Delete Files from the Spool Folder
21 . 2021 .
You May Like: Hp Printer Constantly Goes Offline
Clear Stuck Print Jobs
Regardless of the printer you use, youre likely to encounter situations where you need to delete a print job. Windows 10 makes it easy for you to do so, but if the print job is stuck in the queue, you may not be able to cancel or delete it altogether further preventing other print jobs from printing.
Try the fixes and tips in this guide and let us know in a comment what worked for you.
Elsie is a technology writer and editor with a special focus on Windows, Android and iOS. She writes about software, electronics and other tech subjects, her ultimate goal being to help people out with useful solutions to their daily tech issues in a simple, straightforward and unbiased style. She has a BCom degree in Marketing and currently pursuing her Masters in Communications and New Media. Read Elsie’s Full Bio
Ruling Out Other Issues
You May Like: How To Connect Canon Mg2522 Printer To Wifi
How To Forcefully Clear The Print Queue In Windows
Get rid of that stuck print job
Have you ever run into the situation where you try to print something and nothing happens? You wait for it to print, but the job doesnt go through? There are a ton of reasons why a print job may not actually print, but one of the common causes is that the printer queue has a stuck print job.
This can happen for a number of reasons. Lets say you tried to print something a few hours back, but the printer was off. You ended up not needing the document and you forgot about it. Then you come back and try to print. The print job is added to the queue and if the previous job didnt get removed;automatically, it will be behind that print job that never got printed.
Sometimes you can manually go in and delete the print job, but sometimes you just cant get rid of it! In this type of case, you have to clear the print queue manually. In this article, Ill show you the steps to clear the print queue.
Use The Management Console
You can use the service.msc, shortcut in the management console to clear the print queue in Windows 10. This method will stop the spooler and clear it to delete a stuck print job:
1. Press the Windows Key + R key together to open the run window.
2. Type Services.msc and hit Enter.
Note:You can also access the Services window via Windows Management. Right-click the Windows icon and choose Computer Management. Choose Services and Application then double-click on Services.;
3. In the Services window, right-click on Print Spooler and select Properties.
4. Click on the Stop button to stop the Print Spooler service.
5. Minimize the window and open file explorer. Type the address C:\ Windows\ System32\ Spool\ Printers or navigate to the address manually.
6. Select all the files in the folder and delete them. They were the files that were in the print queue at the instance.
7. Go back to the Services window and click on the Start button.
Pete is a Senior staff writer at TechCult. Pete loves all things technology and is also an avid DIYer at heart. He has a decade of experience writing how-tos, features, and technology guides on the internet.
Also Check: How To Trick Printer Ink Cartridge Hp
How To Fix Print Spooler Using Services
To fix the print spooler service to continue printing on Windows 10, use these steps:
Open Start on Windows 10.
Search for services.msc and click the top result to open the;Services console.
Right-click the Print Spooler service and select the Properties option.
Print Spooler in Services console for Windows 10
Click the General tab.
Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
Type the following path to the printers folder and press Enter:
Click the Continue button .
Select everything in the printers folder and hit the Delete button to remove the contents.
On the Printer Spooler Properties page, click the General tab.
Click the Start button to restart the service.
Start Print Spooler on Windows 10
Click the;OK button.
Once you complete the steps, you can try to print a document one more time, and the printer should work as expected.
How To Speed Up The Print Spooler
From time to time, the print spooler on your computer may experience errors and consequently slow down. The printer spooler service manages all print jobs sent to the printer from your computer. When a print job gets stuck in the spooler, other jobs may not print or they’re processed slowly. You can speed up the print spooler in either of two ways: flush out stuck jobs or restart the spooler. In most cases, these methods will clear the spooler and restore your expected printing speed.
Also Check: How To Connect Canon Ts3122 Printer To Iphone
How To Manually Clear The Print Queue In Windows 10
Description: This article will show how to manually clear the print queue in Windows 10. This can be helpful to get a printer working if it says there are documents waiting but there is no output from the printer.
Clear Print Queue From The Settings App
Every time you try to print something, Windows adds it as a print job. By clearing the print job list, you can clear the print queue. The new Windows 10 Settings app has proper options to clear print job list.
1. Open the Settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut Win + I. You can also open the Settings app by searching for it in the start menu or by clicking on the All Settings button in the Notification center.
2. In the Settings app, go to Devices -> Printers and Scanners.
3. On the right-panel, click on your printer device and click on the Open Queue button.
4. The above action will show all the print jobs in the queue. Right-click on each print job and select Cancel option.
5. In the confirmation window, click on the Yes button.
6. Once you cleared the print queue, this is how it should like in the print job window.
That is it. By canceling all the print jobs, youve successfully cleared the print queue in Windows 10.
Recommended Reading: How To Fix My Canon Printer